My Americana isn't walking or eating.

They started on shavings but now I've moved outside there on sand/dirt, when it first started her crop was full off Hot water it spewed out since then she's been in house with now a second one I've given yogurt sugar water electrolights hurts my heart neither bird will eat or drink or poop so I'm baffled they just go to sleep :(

Don't give them sugar. If they have sour crop that will just make it worse. They are expelling liquid likely because their crop is full and they have a blockage somewhere in the digestive system. If the crop feels like it has a mass in there, that could be the source of blockage. You can try giving them a little olive oil and gently massaging their crop daily to help break up the mass. If the blockage is further down, there isn't much that can be done. Water and maybe a few doses of olive oil might help to move the blockage along, but I have found that it rarely works. They end up losing weight, not growing and it's just best to cull them as they are starving. The fact that your birds are not pooping is concerning. It means they are getting nothing digested and are very likely blocked. You said you had them on pine shavings. Was it the large flake kind or the really fine stuff that has alot of small sawdust stuff in it? Did the chicks have chick grit? Because the really fine pine shavings are not a good thing to put chicks on. They will eat that stuff and without grit, can get blocked up on that stuff.
They very likely also have sour crop. Sour crop sometimes happens when they are blocked up somewhere. The food just sits in their crop and sours. So, treat them for the sour crop first. Then read up on "cropbound" chickens and try some of those methods to see if you can resolved that.
You haven't told us if the crop is emptying at night, if the crop looks and feels full or you see no evidence of food in the crop. Are the birds smaller than their hatchmates? How is their weight compared to the others? Right now, we don't know much of anything and are only guessing that you are dealing with crop or disgestive issues.

They were on large shavings like I've done many years and moved to Sand and dirt in there grow out pen, they were growing normal and fine until one morning I noticed the first one pause at food so I watched her to make sure I wasn't over reacting I that I brought her in by herself, went ahead helped her empty out crop started with olive oil water massaging crop and you name it... I noticed it would still have fluid next morning. I've done the operation on a clogged up crop successful a couple of years ago but this didn't have anything there that I could feel so then the second bird and her crop does empty and have noticed white poop with her but want eat and I'm giving electro lights and olive oil she still has a lil fight but the other one breaks my heart. It's odd I have 9 new birds of different breeds to add to my older flock out of them 2 of the 3 Americans have had problems...
I'm so very appreciative for all that's reached out to help with comments an knowledge even if I can't save these girls I pray I'll be more prepared with ideas if it happens again!

They were on large shavings like I've done many years and moved to Sand and dirt in there grow out pen, they were growing normal and fine until one morning I noticed the first one pause at food so I watched her to make sure I wasn't over reacting I that I brought her in by herself, went ahead helped her empty out crop started with olive oil water massaging crop and you name it... I noticed it would still have fluid next morning. I've done the operation on a clogged up crop successful a couple of years ago but this didn't have anything there that I could feel so then the second bird and her crop does empty and have noticed white poop with her but want eat and I'm giving electro lights and olive oil she still has a lil fight but the other one breaks my heart. It's odd I have 9 new birds of different breeds to add to my older flock out of them 2 of the 3 Americans have had problems...
I'm so very appreciative for all that's reached out to help with comments an knowledge even if I can't save these girls I pray I'll be more prepared with ideas if it happens again!

Have you tried treating the fluid filled crop for sour crop? I really can't think of any reason (especially if you don't feel anything in it) for it to be not emptying other than that right now. I mean, she could be blocked lower(chickens will eat inedible stuff!), but I would at least try treating for sour crop right now.

Tubing is much safer and less stressful to both the bird and the human. I can teach anyone how to do it and I'll guarantee you'll find id easy.

-Kathy

Have you tried treating the fluid filled crop for sour crop? I really can't think of any reason (especially if you don't feel anything in it) for it to be not emptying other than that right now. I mean, she could be blocked lower(chickens will eat inedible stuff!), but I would at least try treating for sour crop right now.

Well the first one did die now I have the second one and she seems to peck at food and wants to eat but her crop is empty I've done for her as I did the other girl but she's very thin so they're diffrent but the same ....in gonna try some olive oil again in case it's a lower blockage should I start putting Apple cider vinegar in water or wait?

I wouldn't do too much at once. Sometimes, people are clueless as to what to do & get too many different things going (been there). First, is this one pooping? If so, how does it look? You said the crop was empty, meaning it's not sour crop & it's not hard. So you feel nothing at all in the crop? Are you offering both plain water as well as water with vitamins & electrolytes? What foods are you offering? The only snacks I would offer is dried or live mealworms, as there's lots of protein, & sometimes that's all a sick chicken will want to eat on their own. Other wise I'd scramble some eggs, & keep a good lay feed or meatbird feed in front of her. You may have to tube feed her (Kathy, I'd personally love pointers on that, as it would probably be easier than what I currently do, but it scares the heck out of me!). I wouldn't deworm her until she is back to normal. If she's weak, worming her could be enough to kill her, I've seen it happen with horses. I've had one I tried treating for sour crop for a week before I finally started giving her the Walmart brand of vagisil. I don't know why I procrastinate doing so. Day 2 of treatment & she's already doing better.

I wouldn't do too much at once. Sometimes, people are clueless as to what to do & get too many different things going (been there). First, is this one pooping? If so, how does it look? You said the crop was empty, meaning it's not sour crop & it's not hard. So you feel nothing at all in the crop? Are you offering both plain water as well as water with vitamins & electrolytes? What foods are you offering? The only snacks I would offer is dried or live mealworms, as there's lots of protein, & sometimes that's all a sick chicken will want to eat on their own. Other wise I'd scramble some eggs, & keep a good lay feed or meatbird feed in front of her. You may have to tube feed her (Kathy, I'd personally love pointers on that, as it would probably be easier than what I currently do, but it scares the heck out of me!). I wouldn't deworm her until she is back to normal. If she's weak, worming her could be enough to kill her, I've seen it happen with horses. I've had one I tried treating for sour crop for a week before I finally started giving her the Walmart brand of vagisil. I don't know why I procrastinate doing so. Day 2 of treatment & she's already doing better.

Ok she's got both water and electrolytes good layer and I'm fixxen to offer mealworms now I did try egg yesterday but I'm gonna try again .. I'd like pointers on tube feeding too for future I've done it on puppies but it is scary!!!!

Back
Top Bottom