My americanas stopped laying!!!

Bjwkarma

Songster
Nov 14, 2020
My americanas stopped laying a few weeks ago. Why???? I have other chickens, they are doing fine. I did lose one americana, Ilsa, but that was about two months ago, when it was so hot.

It's most likely just the change of the season. When the days start getting shorter, many hens will stop laying until the days start getting longer. You could put a light in their coop, and leave it on so they get 14 hours of light a day, or you can just accept it and anticipate Spring.

It would also be smart to check the hens over for any disease or insect problems. Mites and lice can cause hens to stop laying.

It's most likely just the change of the season. When the days start getting shorter, many hens will stop laying until the days start getting longer. You could put a light in their coop, and leave it on so they get 14 hours of light a day, or you can just accept it and anticipate Spring.

It would also be smart to check the hens over for any disease or insect problems. Mites and lice can cause hens to stop laying.
Thank you, i guess thats it. I appreciate it

I like to take advantage of the off times or slow lays and make sure I do my worming and then build them up with vitamins. So for me- Pre-summer and winter are when I really focus on cleaning birds and coops and runs so when their clock says time to lay they are healthy and 100% up for it and I don't have to lose too many eggs to withdrawal

Back
Top Bottom