My Ancona babys (I think)

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
First of all, we are new to chickens. Funny thing is I used ot have a bird phobia. If a bird flew by me I would hit the ground. Then DH say.. we are getting 25 day old chickens. I go along. They get here and I fall IN LOVE. I am tickled to death with them, and myself when I go to the brooder and they let me hold them, and I am seeing each one has there own personality. Is this normal?? Or is it just me trying to see somethign that isnt there? I was told that 3 of the 25 are Ancona's and these 3 chase after my hand, will pinch at me, and jump into my open hand, and fly up to my shoulder. They are so friendly and outgoing. More so then any others in the group. Is this normal for this breed?

Here is a picture of some of our girls, if anyone knows any personality traits of any of them I would love to know.

100_0003-2.jpg

100_0028.jpg

THANKS!!

big_smile.png
oh, thank you. We have 4 white crested black polish and 2 white polish. They all seem to be very calm (so far) and for a new chicken mamma..they are a real treat to have in my brooder!

Very nice chicks! Congratulations! Yes, chickens have differently big personalities - some likes to be held, some like apples, and many more. And once you get under their cuteness spell, there's no turning back.

Yes, some of the chicks look like Anconas(Mottled Anconas, I believe). Here are some pics from feathersite.com:

AnconaChickFront.jpg

AnconaChikBack.jpg

AndyAncBtyChik.jpg

AncPul.jpg

Good luck!

Some of the chicks in our original order were Anconas, and they each had a fuzzy black spot right on the top of their heads. Their coloring mixes were different on the rest of their bodies. So my friends who got to keep them started calling them "dot heads" to distinguish them from the other two chick breeds.

It was all fun and games until they were at a pizza restaurant talking about the chicks, and then noticed that there was an ethnic Indian family in the table behind them. Boy were they nervous that the family had overheard them!

Last edited:
Priss.jpg

Ok, my family now thinks I am crazy. This is "MY GIRL!" Miss Priss. Today she is 19 days old and I brought her inside the house. I have always been a total animal lover, but this little chicken won my heart. I hope I havent done her any harm by bringing her in the house. I went to the brooder tonight (in the garage) and as always she flew up to my shoulder. I wrapped her in my shirt and she fell asleep. So I brought her in the house. She slept wrapped in my shirt for almost an hour. My family thinks i am insane.
This little chicken has been the star of the whole bunch since day one. Have I done her any harm in bringing her inside? She is back out with her sisters now...but she is my favorite..I am just wondering if it is ok to bring her inside from time to time???

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem at all bringing her in...except the end result could be this...
HPIM0647.jpg
Miss MoneyPenny sitting on top of the couch
or this
HPIM0207.jpg
Obelisk the Tormentor going upstairs.

Last edited:
I have three anconas. They are not the friendliest birds I've got. But I had a friend tell me that if I would socialize them more they would probably be more tolerant of me. I'm not sure if that's true. It is characteristic of the breed (so I have read) to be standoffish with people. I sure don't see any harm in handling them if they will allow it, though! That is probably your best chance to raise friendly chickens.

Mine aren't mean at all. But they run away from me... even when I'm not trying to catch them. LOL

Good looking birds you got there! Enjoy them.

Cassandra

Back
Top Bottom