My animals love these weeds any idea what variety it is??

IDK The leaves look broader than the Wikipedia picture. The Lambs Quarters I know of are silvery and feel silkie and fuzzy like their name implies. Down load the app "Picture it" It's free. You take a picture of the plant and it tells you what it is.
These apps can't discern between texture, taste, and smell so I'd confirm with a facebook group (though having said that this specific example is almost certainly lambs quarters), it's the only reason I use fb these days. Even poison control directs people who have ingested plants or mushrooms and need an ID to a facebook group.

Plant Identification
Mushroom Identification
EMERGENCY ONLY Identification Group (just in case anyone was curious about the facebook group PC refers to)

I have used the app for a long time. It is definitely a great starting place. I use it at garden centers when there's no label. In a few seconds you take the picture and it gives you the ID, with pictures and lots of info. So far, the pictures it has come up with have been identical to the plant I was looking at. Then I can search it if I want more info or to confirm.
To begin with the internet you would have to first take a picture and download it to get info. I find it easier to get an almost instant ID and have a name to start searching for.

I have gobs of that, and I also know it as Lamb's Quarter. I've also heard it called Pigweed, but I know of another plant called that (amaranth). The picture shows a mature plant going to seed. Younger plants are more compact and have wider leaves.

When it's younger, it is absolutely delicious, like a tender, mild spinach. I pick mine and munch the top off. It's the first "crop" I get out of the garden. If your animals love it, lucky them!

I have gobs of that, and I also know it as Lamb's Quarter. I've also heard it called Pigweed, but I know of another plant called that (amaranth). The picture shows a mature plant going to seed. Younger plants are more compact and have wider leaves.

When it's younger, it is absolutely delicious, like a tender, mild spinach. I pick mine and munch the top off. It's the first "crop" I get out of the garden. If your animals love it, lucky them!
Thanks for the advice. I will try it for sure.

I definitely want to save these seeds and plant a little pasture area for my animals for next year. Every animal I have loves it. I never paid attention in previous years and never even noticed this weed.

Back
Top Bottom