My answer is here! "she " crowed tonight!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nuttyredhead, Aug 27, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I posted last week wondering if my girl could be a boy....got mixed answers. Then this morning my husband and i went to the coop to open them up and i was telling him i had some suspicions i might have a roo....he says what that one, pointing to the one i thought. Then "she " jumps up on the cage in the run and yep.... squeaky door!!! My husband thought he heard a roo yesterday but blew it off...

Imm so excited!!! [​IMG]

Here He is!

[​IMG]

2. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    Congrats on ur roo. It does look like a hen to me but in a little bit he will look like a rooster. Is he a buff Orpington??????

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    The red gullet is a give away. Cute little guy.

4. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Yes he is. I really wondered if maybe she was just big, but after I heard the crow this morning there is no denying it! [​IMG] I wanted a roo so I am thrilled!!!!!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Is it true, some where I read that if you hold the chick by the nape of the neck, like a cat, a roo will hold its legs up and a hen will hang the legs down? or something like that.

Steve

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    ... I've heard hens crow..... [​IMG]

Congrats, he's beautiful.

7. nuttyredhead

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:No No No!!!!! [​IMG]

When I ordered these chicks I ordered a buff brahma roo...they switched up my order and i didnt get him. So i really thought i was roo-less. I adored my last roos, they were so sweet. And I love listening to them! (the fact that my neighbors dont mind helps!).

8. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I'm with you, I made a point of wanting a roo also. I love the sound of a rooster crowing.

9. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I agree. Roosters are beautiful ! I want one ! But where I live, that is not an option. I would love to hear him crowing, watching over his flock, baby chicks running around. *sigh* for now I will just enjoy everyone else's ! Congrats on your Roo !

10. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    When I got chickens, I never really thought about having (and keeping) a roo. We got some "Ameraucana" chicks straight run from our feed store and ended up (a few months later) with the most gorgeous colored cockerel that I have ever seen ! I could never let him go ! I love to hear him crow, and he is such a good protector for all of his ladies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by