My Aracauna seems to have laid an egg, but...

Ana Robin

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2014
She did so in the run and the egg shell was almost nonexistent, as though she laid more of just a yolk. She then just sort of stood there while all of the others ate what she had laid, not moving much at all. Is this normal? Could there be a problem?

Many thanks.

Was it her first egg? Then it's pretty common. Strange things will probably happen to at least some of the eggs for a month or so, til they "settle in." She may not have had any idea what was about to happen -- and then she will have to learn to look for a nest to lay in. Also, chickens will always eat a broken egg.

This was her first egg. Our Sagitta went straight for the nesting boxes and her eggs have been perfect, albeit small, since day one. So, I guess what I have to go by isn't really the norm. LOL Thanks for the input!!!

Was it her first egg? Then it's pretty common. Strange things will probably happen to at least some of the eggs for a month or so, til they "settle in." She may not have had any idea what was about to happen -- and then she will have to learn to look for a nest to lay in. Also, chickens will always eat a broken egg.

X 2 - out of our current flock of 15 we had probably six shell-less eggs in the first two months of production as different birds came into production. We had some that were like your Sagitta and others that experienced things similar to your Araucana - it really just varies from one bird to the next, but all falls within the "normal" category.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom