My Aracaunas have started laying! How big should the eggs be?

Hooterville

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Parkersburg, West Virginia
I just discovered that my beautiful Aracaunas from HinkJc have started laying--the little stinkers were going under the coop instead of in their really nice laying box.
hmm.png

Anyway, their eggs are sort of small and mostly round--not the traditional egg shape-- Almost the size of a ping pong ball--but not quite. Do these eggs get much bigger? I can't remember the size that these girls hatched from!

I'm just curious--I love their spectacular blue color!!!

Are they bantam araucanas or large fowl? Taht is about the correct size for bantams, althoug mine have laid more normally shaped eggs. You could also be dealing with pullet eggs, which can be as small as a marble--basically the forst efforts before the young girl has gotten all her eggs (so to speak) in a row.

I got mine from hinkjc also and my hen started laying a very nice little blue egg... very pointy and small... but within a week or so it has gotten MUCH larger and is still a bit looong and pointy.. LOL But definitely larger
wink.png
I have a bunch in the bator and they are doing FABULOUSLY!

Last edited:
All hens tend to lay smaller experimental eggs when they begin their life as a laying hen. Their bodies are still figuring it out.

All hens reach a peak in their laying quantity, egg shape, and egg size/color in the middle of the laying season. Pullets just have to iron out the kinks first.

I'll get some pics of these eggs tonight. They are just the prettiest blue color! I figure they'll get bigger--not worried about that at all.
I was so surprised to find them under the coop and not in the lovely nesting box! I'm going to have to lock them in for a while since they may be out laying lovely eggs all over the yard!
wink.png

I'll take some pics also
wink.png
You'll be able to see how they grew just in the week that I started collecting eggs for the bator up to the last eggs I put in
wink.png

I tried to label them for easy identification..... plus it helps give an idea of size. The one in the carton is a little smaller, like her pullet eggs...... I waited all day for her to lay another egg to show what they have been like on average the last week or so... but no luck!
tongue.png
They never cooperate
roll.png

Eggs.jpg

eggs2.jpg

I JUST realized how truly big my EE's eggs are! LOL She lays a NICE egg! I kick myself for only keeping one of the pullets from the eggs I hatched from frizzledhen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom