My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

The are the birds have no sleeping time. It's all feeders and drinkers hanging with the light bulbs 24/7
I have raised cornish chicks in the past to adulthood very healthy birds at 8 months 2 did have newcastle and died but had 3 hens at 12 and 13lb

Those NH's that you have look like they will be a nice sized!
Thanks! So far they are exceeding expectations. :) One more week until weigh in. I will be interested to see how they compare to the cornish x I have raised at 6 weeks. If they are even anywhere CLOSE that would be an excellent start to this project.

I'm mainly posting so I get notices when this thread updates. Should be interesting and hopefully fun.

To me strain is very important, looks like you got excellent stock to start with. How you feed them has a big impact on how they grow so try to feed these the same way you plan to feed them in the future. But as you well know things change so be flexible.

You have options on the breeding pens. Many different ways you could approach that. I like flexibility so I'd probably build at least three, one for the Delaware, one NH, and one for your crosses. But how often do you plan to hatch? I could see you hatching the crosses pretty regularly so one breeding pen for them alone. I consider them a terminal cross as you will either sell or eat them, you won't be breeding them.

But what are your plans for the others? That can get complicated in a hurry. Are you planning a spiral breeding method to maintain genetic diversity? Do you plan on breeding your best and in a few generations go back to your sources for a new rooster? That renews genetic diversity. I think you understand how long the hens need to be separated from roosters so you know who the daddy is. This part of your program may mean even more breeding pens.

How many incubators you need will be another thing. I'd be tempted to go with a minimum of two, one as an incubator and one as a hatcher. That way you could have a hatch a week.

You have some decisions to make. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom