My Automatic Chicken Coop Door Has Arrived

Our coop that was built in the twenties was rigged with an automatic door opener but unfortunately, it's since stopped working. Maybe someday we'll get it running again. Good luck with yours!

As far as raccoons or other predators lifting up the door, this is what their website says http://chickencoopdoor.com/viewfromoutside.html Since it is recessed, I would tend to agree with their statements...I don't really see how a raccoon could get a grip, time will tell.

There is absolutely nothing imprinted on the pulley system, but it appears to simply be a motor used for blinds and curtains.

I found the motor . Judging from this price looks like the door you bought is a good deal, considering wood, labor and other parts.
smile.png

Edited to say...the cheapest I found is $79

Last edited:
I just set my automatic door up last weekend, but just added at timer yesterday afternoon. I bought an add-a-motor which looks just like your motor, but is for drapery. I had to have a counter-weight on the other side of the rubber wheel inside. Is there one on yours? Well, last night I got home late and I was glad to see that the door had gone down by itself. (I have an enclosed run around the coop so I'm not as worried about predators getting in as cold WI air). This morning I was dismayed to see that the door hadn't gone up. When I checked on it, the counter weight had gotten caught somehow and must've burnt out my motor. Such a sad thing. It was so fun to watch work. When it worked. I'll have to scope out a new motor and try again. Looks like you got a great deal on that set up.

This post reminds me - when moving my hens to their larger quarters (old garden shed) my son installed an auto chicken door for me as a surprise while I was away for a w/end. He bought a used garage door on E-Bay and hooked both the new door and the door of the old coop (which sits kitty korner to it) to the same unit. I have a hand held remote and step out onto the deck (which overlooks the chicken coops) press the button and Presto! the light comes on and the door either goes up or down. What a savings on these tired old legs of mine! Isn't this boy one in a million? I too almost sold him when he got into the flour bin at age 2 - so hang on and take courage - there's always hope! haha

I have the same door.
I replaced the frame and the door, I felt the originals were too flimsy.

Sometimes it just decides not to open or close, but it's reliable about 90% of the time.
I think you need to have a REALLY SECURE predator proof area that this opens up to, for when it poops out.

Back
Top Bottom