My awesome country neighbors!! Update #3 in the OP!!

I will generally propose a fee, say $8hr. for lawn work or $15hr. for skilled labor. Then my potential hire has an idea what I am thinking. If you are truly concerned about your neighbor's situation, you will clarify things AND pay a fair wage. If he is doing this to keep busy or for fun, he will refuse pay. THEN you can go all out with cookies or gift cards - IMHO.

I found this ad on Craiglist in my area, hope it help you.

Coop de View $450.00
This 4' by 4' floor plan with a ridge height of 44 inches off finish floor. Add to that 3 roomy nest boxes - and for sure - your hens will never feel *cooped-up* again. The roosting area is a comfortable 12 sq feet. For ease of cleaning, food and water needs - the quick release and locking front wall, or panel, will grant you full access to the interior of the coop, the removable roost bar and *slide out* 1/2" cdx floor. When this floor is removed, it exposes the 1/2" welded wire cloth flooring for those hot summer days and nights providing plenty of ventilation as they scratch and roost about on the straw or hay you've provided them. Two rows of covered vent holes have been included on each side of the walls at the eaves. And all of this at a height of 16" off the ground. And they will be safe from all manner of vermin via the stout sliding access door to their run, or scratch area, that is opened, closed and locked each night. A hinged door model is available for $475.00

Before affixing the fiberglass with rubber grommet-ed screws, the 1/2" cdx plywood roof is stained with a mildew, water resistant penetrating oil with a redwood stain.. All that's left for you, is to paint or stain the exterior the covering of your choice. I have made every effort to design and build a coop of practicality, as well one that's esthetically pleasing though at a reasonable price.

Coop de Grande $550.00
Along with many of the features mentioned above the just added Coop de Grande offers 16 sq ft of roosting area with twin bars.The locking end panel is hinged to easily swing open providing easy access for cleaning. The nest box cantilevers out from one side and has two spacious nesting area. The hasel free sliding access door allows your hens to come and go as they please during the day yet keeps them safe at night

4ft by 8 ft Run $325.00
During the day, they will do what comes natural, scratching about in the pen of which is securely fastened, or separated from the coop. A 4ft x 8ft run constructed with redwood, covered with 1/2 welded wire hardware cloth and comes with two access doors.

I encourage any questions or comments and will be happy to send more detailed, higher resolution photos. These coops are made locally in Bakersfield.

Staining of the coop and run is available for an extra charge. $60.00 per piece.

Ok I may get burned for this but depending on your neighbor he may not want to be reimbursed more than what he put into it. I have two neighbors (I just moved back to the country) who said the same thing (oh we will figure it out when its done) when they volunteered to do something that we needed. When they were done they said oh just help us if we need it. One plowed our garden (80' x 60') for us twice and the other mowed our 10 acres (he has done it 3 times) since we aren't set up for it yet. Both have acted like they were starting to get offended that we kept offering pay.
Again he may be trying to find things to keep him occupied and may only want reimbursed for what he has put out. If that is so definetly offer him eggs or something else that you can do for him over paying him back for supplies. You know be the friendly neighbor that you rarely see anymore.
Sounds like you have a keeper!!!

That is kind of what it was feeling like Barb. I offered/asked about paying him about 4-5 times and frankly, he seemed a little uncomfortable and slightly annoyed by the last time I asked. LOL I should also say he has offered (repeatedly) to loan us his ride on mower. He sees the kids out there pushing our electric one and offers every time. (We have always declined...the kids the need the exercise anyways. LOL)

Last edited:
Oh ya that reminds me. I totally left out the other one who brought us her extra riding mower and left if for 2 months because she got sick of seeing us push mow 1 1/2 acres!!lol

Good ol country folks lots of times just like to do nice things for others. Sounds like you have a good friend there.

My dh is a master craftsman...LOL...Well, you wouldn't get him to admit that but he is - he is a pretty humble man. He makes pretty good money because he is so good. Just last year he roofed our neighbors house for free. Didn't charge them a dime and even contributed his own materials for most of it. They only had to buy the new metal. My dh refused to let them pay him. They come till up our fields for free though too and don't let us pay them for it. Use their own tractors and seed to plant my grass. They even brought me a cutting horse for free. SO, you don't always have to use money to barter. Figure out what these people like and buy them a nice gift when they finish the coop.

This is the norm for country folk
wink.png
Don't let it make you feel guilty because the man probably enjoys helping people.

As far as what would be a fair price, well, that all varies on the skill level of the carpenter, the area you live in and what is the pay for that trade, and what size job it is.

Start baking
tongue.png

If it were me, I would let him know what my limit was, give him the quote and ask him to build me the best he could for that amount.

See what he thinks, ask if it is fair. Then you are pretty much done.

Whether you have $50.00 or $300.00 he will then have the option to build what he can.

If you think he has gone over and above, then you can make, bake, share and do kind things for him.

Good neighbors are hard to come by.

Quote:
I quoted this post because for the most part I agree with it.

I would add since he seems to be getting uncomfortable with you wanting to pay him, that you are uncomfortable having him start building without having negotiated the price. I would even include such things as you are on a tight budget and that you want to pay if he wants you to, but that if you will be paying, you need to know how much. I know things like this can be terribly uncomfortable, but it's better imo to get it out in the open now than for there to be hard feelings at the end.

You can start by asking him to make up a materials list that you can purchase for him, and go from there.

Good luck! It sounds like you have an awesome neighbor.

Believe It or not. Some people just like to help other people. You have asked him more than once for a price and he has had a chance to speak. Let him do what he enjoys. Help someone who needs it.
I help my neighbor all the time and he helps me any time I call. Someday your neighbor will need help and you will be there. Until then enjoy what some people will never experience.

Back
Top Bottom