1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My babies are coming on Tuesday! ((Checklist))

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by khable, Apr 22, 2007.

1. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Hi all,

My babies (5 Buff Orpington Chicks) are coming on Tuesday… [​IMG]

I have been shopping this weekend to get myself prepared as these will be our first!

I have:

• nice big plastic bin for them to be in
    • brooder light w/ red light bulb
    • chick starter mash
    • thermometer
    • pine shavings
    • water & food dishes

Am I missing anything??

I have read alot about using DE…. Would you use it for little wee ones? Or is that something you use only when they are grown??

What kinds of snacks can the babies get??

Do they need starter grit? I saw that in the store too.

The people weren’t very helpful at the feed store. They didn’t seem to know much about Chickens. [​IMG]

Thank you for help with my checklist!

Kim

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Chicks do not need treats at all at least for the first week or two. If you do choose to give them something (and most everyone does)- they will need grit as well. Cultured yogurt is a good treat as is hard boiled egg without the shell.

Covering the bedding material for the first few days is a good idea. Papertowels work well for this. Don't use newspaper as it is too slick for the chicks little feet. You can remove the papertowels after the chicks have figured out what their food is.

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Using DE is a personal preference. If you want medicated chickens, use medicated feed and treatments like DE. If you want a more organic chicken, stay away from those. Either way, I think you shouldn't use any chemicals on new babies, but thats JMHO. I am raising my babies to be certified organic, so I stay away from all medicated feeds, vaccinations, pesticides, and chemicals, as they ALL stay in the chicken for quite a long time, and DO pass on through the eggs. This may not be an option for you and your family. Its a matter of personal choice, and you will get many different replies. Enjoy your new babies! They grow SO fast! Take lots of photos because in just 3 weeks they wont look anything like they do when you got them! [​IMG] Best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by