My babies are having babies!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChicoChickens, May 13, 2009.

1. ChicoChickens

ChicoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Chico, CA
    Hee-hee... I feel like an excited Grandma cause my chickens, that I've raised from chicks, are having chicks! I have a Barred Rock and a Rhode Island Red sitting and the first babies have started hatching today! As of 8:00pm we have three hatched and one working it's way out. My son and I keep going back and forth from the house to the coop to see how they are doing. Now that it's getting dark out I have to close up the coop but I know I will run out there first thing in the morning to see how many more have hatched. This is SOOOOO exciting!

If anyone is interested, I posted some pics on my page. How long should we wait before we can hold the chicks? Or is that even an issue with chickens? Sometimes I go to the feed store just to play with the baby chickens, hee-hee. I can't help it, they are just so adorable.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I don't think there is any reason to wait, if Mama will let you, that is. You might have to argue with Mama about this....

Congrats, Grandma!

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by