My babies have arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madimorg, Jul 20, 2010.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I got the much anticipated call this morning at 5:30am from my local Post Office saying they had a noisy package for me to pick up. I jump out of bed, threw on a pair of shorts and grabbed a Mountain Dew and out the door I flew; it felt like Christmas. These are my first chick babies. Upon arriving at the post office there was no mistaking which box was mine... wow, were they wide awake and ready to get out. I placed my order with MPC ; My Pet Chicken back in April so it felt like it had been forever waiting in anticipation. All fifteen were vibrant and appear very healthy. I have them set up in their large tote with a heat lamp, water with nutri-drench added in it and medicated crumbles. I have wood shavings with paper towels over top. I cant seem to get the temperature over 90 but the chicks seem happy and are scattered throughout the tote. So far so good I think. I'll try to get photos of the babys tomorrow; I figure I'll leave them be as much as possible today without taking them out of their heat (and photos just aren't working for me with the red heat lamp).

I've been able to determine which breeds are which on quite a few but am stumped on others... I figure in due time their identities will be revealed; right now I'm just so happy all made it thru shipping without any issues.

I ordered Faverolles, Welsummer, Dominique, Australorp, Golden Campine, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Buff Chantecler, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Black Sumatra, Light Brown Leghorn and a Silver Lakenvelder. As you can tell I didn't know what breed I wanted to ordered a little of this and that. I do also have another order of six due in mid August also from MPC.

2. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Congrats on your new baby chicks, so fun. I know that feeling too well. Enjoy your little one. Hope you post pictures, you have a wonderful assortment!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Congrats on your new arrivals!
    Can't wait to see photos!!
    [​IMG]

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Congrats!! I love mixed flocks, I have one of my own and all the different colors and personalities are so much fun! Have fun with your little ones, they don't stay little for long! We want PICTURES!! [​IMG]

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Congrats on your new babies, they are so much fun! They change every day, quite literally, at this stage so take lots of pictures!

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

7. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Congratulations! Can't wait to see the pics! [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ooooh, this is a great mixture of some really cool breeds! I have a colorful and varied flock, myself. And I keep adding to it..... just started with chickens in October 2009.

Enjoy your babies! Chicks grow SO fast. And I agree, it's hard to take photos with that red light!

9. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I finally broke down and decided to photo the babies by taking them out from under the heat lamp one by one. They seem to be doing great thus far.

[​IMG]
    These are my chipmunk striped babis… Two of these should be Wellsummers (one male and one female), one may be my Easter Egger, one may be my Light Brown Leg Horn… no idea who is who; I guess time will tell.
    [​IMG]

This is my Golden Laced Wyandotte I think.

[​IMG]
    My Rhode Island Red
    [​IMG]
    I think this may be my Golden Campine.
    [​IMG]

One of these should be my Buff Orpington and one of these should be the Buff Chantecler.
    [​IMG]
    These should be the male and female Faverolles… I am positive on these since they have the feathered legs and five toes.

[​IMG]
    I think this is the Dominique
    [​IMG]
    I think this may be the Lakenvelder but am a little confused with the Sumatra and Australorp.

[​IMG]
    Maybe the Sumatra or Australorp?
    [​IMG]
    Sumatra or Australorp?

If anyone has any ideas on who is who feel free to correct me or help out. Thanks for allowing me to share these cuties.

10. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:My GLW looked more silver when they were just baby fuzzybutts... so your GLW could be #4. The Australorp is either #7 or #10. I ordered from MPC back in June. I have 1 Faverolle (out of 3) that survived! She's the best! Love the fuzzy feet and little beards! I have 2 chipmunk striped EE and 1 white EE. Look at the leg color...EE have greenish or slate colored legs! Your chickiebabies are so cute! What breeds did you order for August?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by