My baby bobs keep dying. What might be the cause?

Someone once told me at the feed store .True or not I really have not inquired or researched.(they said the medication in chic starter is not good for Quail or Turkeys) .. Yet the medication in Game bird or Turkey starter is OK for either of those but not Chic's...Just throwing it out there (some one will Know) and hopefully tell ....cva34

I just use Game bird or Turkey starter (Med) the first few weeks . Then switch to (no Med ) But its hard to find around here sometimes..
pop.gif

Someone once told me at the feed store .True or not I really have not inquired or researched.(they said the medication in chic starter is not good for Quail or Turkeys) .. Yet the medication in Game bird or Turkey starter is OK for either of those but not Chic's...Just throwing it out there (some one will Know) and hopefully tell ....cva34

I just use Game bird or Turkey starter (Med) the first few weeks . Then switch to (no Med ) But its hard to find around here sometimes..
Interesting. I have switched from med chick starter to med game bird starter! We'll see if they thrive now.

lau.gif
Had a feel'n you'd want to hear some opinions on the medicated feed Randall!

Great subject to discuss cva34... I have never seen any documented evidence that the medication caused problems with quail. Lots of rumor, Lots of info thats repeated on the internet that was not based on fact. And likely expanded upon.While Im no expert quail breeder, too many use med. feed and grow lots a great big ol bobs for it to be "poison".. Can I get a AMEM brother Randall?

Is it a necessity to use medicated gamebird feed? My quail will be here the end of June but I'm doing all of my research now. I was supposed to get a single one last month that my DIL accidentally received in her chick order but her boss gave it to someone while she was at lunch. :(

Hello Tammy,
I feel strongly that you should use "game bird starter"... The med. is not needed in most cases. In fact thats what the question is and has been for a long time now. The meds are added for the large outfits that raise cycle after cycle of birds thru their system. Pheasants mostly... If your in a area that alot of these breeders are. You likely cant buy anything else. Some say the meds build up and damage the reproductive system of quail... Some say alot more. Its hard to find real hard core info on it or where it all comes from. But I tend to trust what I can see and those that have "been there, done that". Randall and several others, have used medicated starter for years, with no issue at all. So If its a problem, its not one that should keep one awake at night worry'n over! Good Luck with your birds by the way!! Bill

Last edited:
Allrighty, here's my take on it one more time. My local / available "starter" feed is Nutrena NatureWise Turkey and Quail Starter (Medicated). There is 200 Grams of Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate per ton (2,000 lbs.) of feed. That equals to 100 milligrams per 1 pound of feed (less than the equivalent of 1/3 of a regular aspirin). I'm no doctor. I'm no pharmacist. I'm no scientist. I'm no expert at anything except makin' do with what I've got. When I got into the Bobwhite thing a few years ago, a very wise and experienced poultry-veteran "lady" that I got my first super-sized Bob chicks from told me to feed them this very feed, as she gets it at the same place I do. Been doin' it ever since, and will continue doin' it. Personally, I think it's myth. It's hard for me to believe that Nutrena, being a long-time standout in manufacturing farm and pet feed, would keep manufacturing this feed if it was that hazardous to quail chicks. I'm not tellin' anybody to feed this feed. If you don't feel confident in doin' this, or anything in life that you think may backfire on you, then don't......... To each their own.......... My disclaimer in my signature speaks for itself......
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom