My baby chick eye is messed up! Please help!

Kjohnson4807

Hatching
Apr 30, 2019
I recently purchased 2 baby chicks from a local feed mill. And I noticed their eyes doesn’t seem to look normal. Both sides are the same on both chicks. Can someone please help me figure out what’s going on?

Attachments

• 9A04AD93-8908-4121-87FC-BFFEB9B7E063.jpeg
    9A04AD93-8908-4121-87FC-BFFEB9B7E063.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 459AA5D8-25C5-404A-886D-DF2E1FACAEFA.jpeg
    459AA5D8-25C5-404A-886D-DF2E1FACAEFA.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 6DCAC542-764A-4ABF-B06A-B38F336C2F57.jpeg
    6DCAC542-764A-4ABF-B06A-B38F336C2F57.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 17
No sneezing or coughing. Eyes on the other chickens not shown are somewhat watery but that’s about it. Theses are the 2 that looks the worse. No foam either. I have put a tablespoon or 2 of Vet RX in all of their waters. Do you think that could possibly help?

It looks like they may have Conjunctivitis, but unsure of the cause. Could be from respiratory disease or some other infection.
I would flush the eyes with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment to see if they improve.

Do you have other chickens? I would keep the new chicks quarantined and practice biosecurity between flock if you have other chickens. Getting some testing if they begin to show other symptoms would be a good idea - some illnesses are spread on clothes, dust/dander and shoes.

I need help. I had to separate 2 baby chicks from my others because their eyes don’t look right and their stool has little blood in it I noticed so I put corid 9.6% liquid solution in their water. But I don’t see the eye thing a symptom of coccidiosis!? What could be wrong here!
Can you post some photos of the poop?
What state/country do you live in?

Coccidiosis would not be related to the eyes. You have some answers on your other thread about the eyes. If there is blood in the poop, I would make sure they are only drinking the Corid water, don't add any electrolytes or vitamins to the water until you finish the coarse of treatment.
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.

Do you have other chickens?
Here's a link to your other thread in case you have a hard time finding it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-baby-chick-eye-is-messed-up-please-help.1306738/

Welcome to BYC. They look to have conjunctivitis (pinkeye) which can be associated with a respiratory disease such as MG. Did you hatch them or get them from a breeder? Can you get some Tylan 50 from a feed store or a similar antibiotic to give them orally? Most antibiotics cannot be obtained easily without a prescription. Here is some info on MG:
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/exte... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

I live in NC. Yes I have others but separated theses two from the others. I actually do have some Tylan 50. How much can I give to a baby chick orally and for how long? I bought them 2 from a feed mill near me. There is blood in their poop yesterday I will check again today. Can I give Corid and Tylan 50 same time?

Back
Top Bottom