My baby chick has a big lump on his neck and can't walk

Could you please tell me, if I see a chick that has such serious problems right after hatch in the incubator; should I still move it to a brooder or just… well end his life in the beginning so he doesn't have to suffer such pain? I'm not sure. I really want to try saving a chick even if chances are small. I don't have heart to end a newly-hatched chick's life.
I don't think there is a right answer. Use your best judgement and do what you feel morally comfortable doing. Some people like to help, some people end the misery. Neither is wrong.

The yellowish lump on the right side of his chest and neck troubles me

so we could help it heal and breath easier.

Thanks for your honest opinion @Wyorp Rock. I see it isn't easy to take a decision like this. I would rather separate a sick chick in it's own brooder and pay more attention and take more care of it in case I'm able to save it. Afterwards, it's all about the chick and how it will tackle the problem. That's what I would certainly do.

My other 3 chicks are doing great! :highfive: Running around and eating and drinking very well! I'm glad that their are healthy and thankful for all the help anf information I've got from BYC! :wee

Hey @Wyorp Rock

I just wanted to ask one more health-related question about the chicks with a lump on the right side of their chest and neck. How does one differentiate a Ruptured Air Sac causing a lump of air, and the crop of the chick when it's full? Of course, given that they are on the same spot.

How do I know if it is just the crop, or a lump of air caused by a rupturd air sac if they look too similar to me?

- Dimitar 🐤🐣🐥
I'm glad to hear all the other chicks are doing well!

Sometimes it may be difficult to differentiate from a crop or air sac. I really relied on your description of the problem and your photos.
You mentioned the lump extended along the neck and past the wing and possible air filled.

While you didn't initially say the chick was having trouble breathing, you did mention it in another post.
YOU are the one who gave the best clues, I just tried to follow them.

I'm glad to hear all the other chicks are doing well!

Sometimes it may be difficult to differentiate from a crop or air sac. I really relied on your description of the problem and your photos.
You mentioned the lump extended along the neck and past the wing and possible air filled.

While you didn't initially say the chick was having trouble breathing, you did mention it in another post.
YOU are the one who gave the best clues, I just tried to follow them.
Thank you once again! I see, it isn't always easy to differentiate a ruptured air sac and a full crop. What I've understood is the following:

• If the lump is on the right side of the chest, it could be the crop, but if it goes too far away or upwards behind the neck, then the crop shouldn't be that far up.
  • I also assume that if I feed the chicks with solid food, the lump shouldn't feel like filled with air when touched.
  • One method to be sure is to take the chick's food away during night and check if the lump has decreased in size in the morning.
I've just had my first hatch and my first four chicks. This is what I've read so far while trying to safe the one who had the issue.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Does someone have an advice for my concern mentioned in the quote above?↑

Would be very happy to know your opinion on this.

Best,

Dimitar
I think if you are going to raise chickens you are going to have to make some hard decisions. With so many infections and illness out there you at least should isolate the sick ones. You have to choose for yourself what to do with it. I would probably just let nature take its course.

I would rather separate a sick chick in it's own brooder and pay more attention and take more care of it in case I'm able to save it.
I use my old incubator to separate anyone who seems to be having any issues at all during hatch so that I can keep a closer eye on it. I crack it open when I add water for it to drink, so that the humidity doesn't get to high.

Back
Top Bottom