My baby chick was killed last night :(

That's sort of what happened with my chicken and duck I have right now except they were like "brooded" together? I don't know but they're kind of okay now. Since they weren't separated they keep trying to mate and my parents aren't doing anything about that either.

You know what we just shouldn't have animals :(

And I agree it should've been like my parents responsibility to teach me what to even do. I feel like they blame me but they didn't teach me... So is it their fault? I don't know.
Very sorry about your chick. Yes, I agree - some people just shouldn’t have animals if they don’t know how to care for them.
My neighbor has lost about 30 chickens due to predators even after being told how to keep them safe at night. 🙄 and she’s a school teacher! Ugh!

Very sorry about your chick. Yes, I agree - some people just shouldn’t have animals if they don’t know how to care for them.
My neighbor has lost about 30 chickens due to predators even after being told how to keep them safe at night. 🙄 and she’s a school teacher! Ugh!
We actually kept hearing him chirp yesterday for like 30 minutes and hasn't since. We still can't find the poor buddy...

That's sort of what happened with my chicken and duck I have right now except they were like "brooded" together? I don't know but they're kind of okay now. Since they weren't separated they keep trying to mate and my parents aren't doing anything about that either.

You know what we just shouldn't have animals :(

And I agree it should've been like my parents responsibility to teach me what to even do. I feel like they blame me but they didn't teach me... So is it their fault? I don't know.
There is no one that should be blamed for the sake of blaming. Blame causes hurt feelings, mistrust and resentment. But deal with the situation rather than assign blame.
Here’s my take on your situation.
Responsibility lies with all in this chicks case. Your parents should have know better than assume you understood or were even aware if the needs of a hatchling chick. As life coaches the parents should have first educated themselves in order to pass on information you. When that didnt happen and you were facing an unfamiliar task of chick mom, the responsibility to become self motivated and educate yourself for the sake of the chicks life falls to you. You can ask parents for help, search the internet and read. You did well seeking out BYC to post so it can be assumed you can navigate the sight. Take full advantage of the sight and educate yourself so that you learn and one day pass on that knowledge. Most articles in the learning center are easy to read and short enough to get right to the point. Know that there is not one person on BYC that instinctively knew how to care for chickens. We all, even the professional veterinarians on BYC, started out just like you…uncertain what to do, not too confident in abilities at first, and full of unasked questions. Not one was instantly granted expert status and honorary experience just for reading. Experience is doingas there are plenty of people with fancy book learning degrees that can’t change a lightbulb! But despite expertise of our most experienced BYC folks they can (and do) still make a mistake… that is the learning process. In order to learn you must read it, do it, evaluate it for mistakes re-do, teach it to someone else, then re-evaluate again and again. Remeber that life lesson... Reflect on what went wrong with this chick, list it out without blame, then THINK of how/what you can to differently for a better experience then try again being more informed. Take control of your knowledge and educate yourself, then you can teach someone else with a similar problem as you become the expert (maybe teach your parents about flock animals needing a companion to become a flock wink, wink).
sorry for long lecture post but in life the buck will always stop with you and end with you in self pity UNLESS you actively do something to take charge of what you are able to in order to move toward self growth. keep curious and ask ask ask questions.. we live for this stuff. You got this!
:hugs

There is no one that should be blamed for the sake of blaming. Blame causes hurt feelings, mistrust and resentment. But deal with the situation rather than assign blame.
Here’s my take on your situation.
Responsibility lies with all in this chicks case. Your parents should have know better than assume you understood or were even aware if the needs of a hatchling chick. As life coaches the parents should have first educated themselves in order to pass on information you. When that didnt happen and you were facing an unfamiliar task of chick mom, the responsibility to become self motivated and educate yourself for the sake of the chicks life falls to you. You can ask parents for help, search the internet and read. You did well seeking out BYC to post so it can be assumed you can navigate the sight. Take full advantage of the sight and educate yourself so that you learn and one day pass on that knowledge. Most articles in the learning center are easy to read and short enough to get right to the point. Know that there is not one person on BYC that instinctively knew how to care for chickens. We all, even the professional veterinarians on BYC, started out just like you…uncertain what to do, not too confident in abilities at first, and full of unasked questions. Not one was instantly granted expert status and honorary experience just for reading. Experience is doingas there are plenty of people with fancy book learning degrees that can’t change a lightbulb! But despite expertise of our most experienced BYC folks they can (and do) still make a mistake… that is the learning process. In order to learn you must read it, do it, evaluate it for mistakes re-do, teach it to someone else, then re-evaluate again and again. Remeber that life lesson... Reflect on what went wrong with this chick, list it out without blame, then THINK of how/what you can to differently for a better experience then try again being more informed. Take control of your knowledge and educate yourself, then you can teach someone else with a similar problem as you become the expert (maybe teach your parents about flock animals needing a companion to become a flock wink, wink).
sorry for long lecture post but in life the buck will always stop with you and end with you in self pity UNLESS you actively do something to take charge of what you are able to in order to move toward self growth. keep curious and ask ask ask questions.. we live for this stuff. You got this!
:hugs
Thank you. That's all I've got to say. Thank you :hugs

I have killed so many chicks during my teen years, that I lost count. Now when a chick dies on me is because of other reasons beyond my power and it always hurt. But that's what happens when you raise chickens, not all of them make it.

But there is a difference between an accidental death and one that is due to Negligence. And your case is border line Negligence. If you and your parents don't have the means to keep chickens, perhaps you shouldn't be keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom