My baby chicken is straight missing

SuchSloth

Hatching
May 20, 2022
I hatched this one myself, scramble is her name. She was only 4 weeks old. I was leaving her outside later and later to get her used to the outdoors so she could eventually join the 4 month old chickens I have. (The rest of her siblings went to a farm but she was left sticking out of the egg) around 10pm after not checking in on her for 2 hours I come outside to find her coop absolutely destroyed. The chicken wired had been violently ripped away taking a half gallon bucket with it. The top of her enclosure was left untouched. There’s no evidence of her or her attacker. I’ve spent 2 hours “chirping” outside hoping she got away. I’m stumped here. We don’t have foxes to my knowledge, nor do we have wolves. There is a raccoon that has been coming out during the day to bother the cats (the cats didn’t do it, they’ve been protecting my chickens for 2 years with ZERO incidences and I have 2 year old fully grown free roamers) but I’m telling you that chicken wire was ripped away in a forceful manner. Anything helps

My guess is the coon. They have opposing thumbs and can manipulate and rip things apart. They will go through chicken wire to get a bird.

I'm so sorry but I think Scrambled became Coon dinner.

Never tolerate a coon on your premises if you have chickens. In my area we can trap and shoot (but not relocate). I've lost birds to coons, both large and small. (My other big predator is hawks).

LofMc

I hatched this one myself, scramble is her name. She was only 4 weeks old. I was leaving her outside later and later to get her used to the outdoors so she could eventually join the 4 month old chickens I have. (The rest of her siblings went to a farm but she was left sticking out of the egg) around 10pm after not checking in on her for 2 hours I come outside to find her coop absolutely destroyed. The chicken wired had been violently ripped away taking a half gallon bucket with it. The top of her enclosure was left untouched. There’s no evidence of her or her attacker. I’ve spent 2 hours “chirping” outside hoping she got away. I’m stumped here. We don’t have foxes to my knowledge, nor do we have wolves. There is a raccoon that has been coming out during the day to bother the cats (the cats didn’t do it, they’ve been protecting my chickens for 2 years with ZERO incidences and I have 2 year old fully grown free roamers) but I’m telling you that chicken wire was ripped away in a forceful manner. Anything helps
Chicken wire can be torn apart super easily, resulting in deaths like this. Please, for your bird's sake, replace it with hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom