1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My baby eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TALKMYCHICKS, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TALKMYCHICKS

TALKMYCHICKS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I have 10 eggs in the incubater.... Today is day 18, eggs are moving a bit and a couple have some what look like chips in them, I have never done this before... can anybody tell me when the best time to stop turning them, Iv heard so many different things..... HELP !![​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Now.
    Day 18 is normally when I pull them out of the turner.
    Sounds like the temp was a little high.
    Kick up the humidity NOW.

3. TALKMYCHICKS

Aug 17, 2013
    I filled the canals should I remove the 2nd plug, I have been hand turning them, so I will stop, how ever I did turn them this morning .

4. TALKMYCHICKS

Aug 17, 2013
    My temp has been at a steady 99.5... gosh I hope there ok ![​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd open the plug cause the more they develop the more oxygen they need.
    In my experience, thermometers are notorious for inaccuracy.
    I believe most are only required to be within about 2 degrees.

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    the CHIP is the star crack the beginning of hatch they may stay that way for many hours or hatch out in minutes depends on them but yes up humidity now to 65.Might need a ver wet rag to get it to 65.Unfold it as much as you can as SURFACE WATER is what cause humdity to rise not depth GOOD LUCK!!

OH and ...(
    Sit on hands and don't OPEN the Bator except in emergency situation A LONG time from now.
    You will feel like helping..... DONT..AS long as they have a pip the crack is slightly open ....they are getting air and wont die from that... They are OK LOL.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Wont hurt turning today but stop now.
    The turning is more important for earlier on in the incubating as they form so they don't grow to the egg membrane as they grow. Usually stop after day 17
    Now they are done......Almost..
    Now they absorb the yolk, turn to the air cell... pip a hole and learn to breath air the memebrane veins dry up now too. .....all kinds of things go on the last day so sometimes takes many hours. don't be alarmed if some don't come out for 12 hours after they pip the hole.
    Some may come out in a 1/2 hour too
    HArd to tell when they are ready to hatch They then zip around the shell and push out.When they come out they may just lay there for a few minutes They aren't dead they are resting They had a VERY HARD job they just did and are exhausted. Gotta get energy to try and stand ..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Excellent description.

9. TALKMYCHICKS

Aug 17, 2013
    Im a bit concerned today... there is a scheduled power shut of for one hour today... I don't have a generator [​IMG]
    my canals still look full... my daughter was off yesterday... she watched them for a while and saw movement.. I havnt this morning.. ill be disappointed if at least some don't hatch.. I fell like a expecting mother... oh wait I am [​IMG]

10. TALKMYCHICKS

Aug 17, 2013
    Oh yea...
    there is no crack that I can see... just some chips

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by