My baby girl is poorly

rebecca94

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
UK - Manchester
Hi all.

I am very worried about my youngest hen, she is 3yrs and she has a massive lump on her chest bigger than a golf ball. She is not as enthusiasts as all the rest. The colour in her face has drained. She does have sisters same age but they're all loving life.

She is sitting down a lot, not getting excited when I throw treats in and she's become very skinny. I've not seen her eat or drink for ages now. I am very concerned about her

I have pressed on the lump to see if it's painful and it doesn't seem to be. She is not talking, not compared to her sisters.
Please can somebody tell me some good news :(

I have a bad feeling she is on her way out

Hi all.

I am very worried about my youngest hen, she is 3yrs and she has a massive lump on her chest bigger than a golf ball. She is not as enthusiasts as all the rest. The colour in her face has drained. She does have sisters same age but they're all loving life.

She is sitting down a lot, not getting excited when I throw treats in and she's become very skinny. I've not seen her eat or drink for ages now. I am very concerned about her

I have pressed on the lump to see if it's painful and it doesn't seem to be. She is not talking, not compared to her sisters.
Please can somebody tell me some good news
sad.png

I have a bad feeling she is on her way out

Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos?
If the lump her crop?

When you say you haven't see her eat/drink for ages- how long it that?

What type of food/treats do you feed?

It's possible she may have a crop issue.

Separate her so you can give her some attention. Try to get her to drink some water-she is most likely dehydrated.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Hiya. I am feeding them basic layers pellets, treats every now and again like tomatoes, soaked bread sweet corn etc. I have no photos but I googled what you said and it is that. How can I treat it without causing pain to her. I don't want to cut it open myself. I cannot cause pain to any animal, I am a massive wimp when it comes to animals, when I try to get the mud clumps underneath they're claws and they squeal I stop... There's an example for you. I also don't have the money to take her to the vet. It'll cost me £100's :( I just want my baby to how she was before

Last edited:
Hiya. I am feeding them basic layers pellets, treats every now and again like tomatoes, soaked bread sweet corn etc. I have no photos but I googled what you said and it is that. How can I treat it without causing pain to her. I don't want to cut it open myself. I cannot cause pain to any animal, I am a massive wimp when it comes to animals, when I try to get the mud clumps underneath they're claws and they squeal I stop... There's an example for you. I also don't have the money to take her to the vet. It'll cost me £100's
sad.png
I just want my baby to how she was before

I provided treatment links for you in my previous post, but here they are again.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I do apologise I have read as much as I can, I'm not a good reader. What kind of treatments do you have? Can you list them with the prices please. I will try anything for my baby. She's too young to die :(

I do apologise I have read as much as I can, I'm not a good reader. What kind of treatments do you have? Can you list them with the prices please. I will try anything for my baby. She's too young to die
sad.png

I'm sorry is there was a miscommunication. I'm not selling you anything, I was giving you information on how to treat impacted crop
smile.png

Make sure she has plenty of water and poultry grit (crushed granite) available - she will take the grit free choice if she needs it.
You can give her a little soft bread soaked in some olive oil. Massage her crop. Don't give her any treats or anything else to eat but the soft bread for the day.
This may help move things along. Only give her easily digestible food for a few days, the bread, wet chicken feed or scrambled egg.

Let us know how she does.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/

Chickens can eat chicken and eggs?!
Didn't know that at all. Thank you very much. I struggle to read posts like the link you sent me I apologise. I really appreciate your help. She will get better won't she?? :(

Chickens can eat chicken and eggs?!
Didn't know that at all. Thank you very much. I struggle to read posts like the link you sent me I apologise. I really appreciate your help. She will get better won't she??
sad.png

Yes, chickens can eat chicken and eggs.
smile.png

No apologies needed.

I do hope she gets better.

Keep us posted.

Hi Rebecca,
I received your photo and message.

I'm sorry your girl is not doing well.

What treatment have you tried?
Have you been able to get any water into her?

Is her crop still hard or full?

Back
Top Bottom