My baby Muscovies are hatching!

Kari

Songster
14 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Massachusetts
My baby Muscovies are hatching! I am so excited! I got home from work, and there were three little babies! Little bundles of fuzzy cuteness! I left the mommas alone for a while, and when I went back out there were more, I watched three of them hatch...it was the coolest thing! I separated the two drakes (hubby needed to help, that was a chore!) so that the mommas (and I) wouldn't have to worry. I think I have about 12 at this point, i have 7 lovely ladies sitting on nests right now, and the three earliest are hatching now. I think the others are about a week behind, except for one who just started seriously sitting today.
Here's the pics that I have right now...more to come, I promise....anyone wanna buy some adorable little web-footed cuties?
22200_baby_ducks.jpg

22200_baby_duck.jpg

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

More Pics!
22200_babyducks3.jpg

17 babies so far! I am overwhelmed by the cuteness factor!

22200_babyducks4.jpg

22200_30750_1366553721134_1150391563_30963619_2033690_s.jpg

22200_30750_1366553761135_1150391563_30963620_3950995_s.jpg

I have a few questions though...I am a new mom, and haven't done this before. Should I take the babies away from the moms? and if so, why? I know that I have read on here that some people do take babies away.
They seem to be good mommies for being their first time! I also removed the drakes last night and put them in a different pen, how long do I keep the drakes separated?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
No, you don't have to take the babies away fm mom. People do so for a # of reasons, one being that the moms are usually super protective & won't generally allow you to handle the ducklings. Soooo, if you are wanting to have the ducklings attatch to you vs mom Scovy, you brood them yourself. Also, it would be easier if you are selling the ducklings while they are very young in that you wouldn't have to be "attacked" by momma when you need to scoop them up for someone. I let my momma Scovies raise their ducklings. I love watching them together and the whole social set up with Scovies and as long as you are handing out treats the ducklings associate people w/yummies.
wink.png
As the ducklings become more independant fm mom, they will begin running to you and asking for treats. They won't cuddle w/you though but I'm not looking for that anyway. They can still be pets and a joy to watch & interact with.

With that many broody Scovies you will need to watch for broody infighting though. Scovies do get pretty territorial and w/ducklings around will get "pokey" with the other moms & their ducklings when its snack time, dinner time, time to go to bed. They want their space, food, etc. for THEIR ducklings though I've watched them "babysit" each others ducklings when it was needed. Go figure!
idunno.gif
Scovy society is Veerrrry interesting to watch.

Thanks so much for the info! I've not hatched ducklings before and figured that momma duck will do the job best. These mommas are pretty sweet natured, and put up with all my picture taking last night and didn't get nasty at all. Yes, I plan on selling the babies, I don't want to, but I don't need this many ducks!
I appreciate the advice! Thank you!

Baby Scovies went out on the lawn last night...two days old!
They were already jumping at bugs and they had a blast...here's a new pic!
22200_2daysold.jpg

Back
Top Bottom