My baby turkey wont stop chirping! =( (other questions too)

We have 2 poults in the coop together. They can see the chickens in the coop beside them, so I don't think they are lonely. The poults chirp all the time! I thought they were doing it because they were hungry, so we made sure they can get food all the time. Still chirping! I don't know what we are doing wrong.

We have 2 poults in the coop together. They can see the chickens in the coop beside them, so I don't think they are lonely. The poults chirp all the time! I thought they were doing it because they were hungry, so we made sure they can get food all the time. Still chirping! I don't know what we are doing wrong.
It can also be because of the temperature whether too high or too low but it is most likely they are calling for the attention of their mama (you).

I just got a turkey today at the feedbin, we went to just get feed for our ducks and chickens but knowing me I came home with a turkey, and not just any turkey but "THE TURKEY" (oddball of the bunch) What was i suppose to do? The others were pecking him =(

Anyways though, ever since I brought him home when I put him down he chirps consistently and then tries jumping out of the bin, what should I do? is this normal? He stops immediately when I pick him up and then falls asleep in my hand but when I set him down he just goes nuts. I am trying music on him rite now, its sort of working but is still trying to jump out. I would have gotten 2 turkeys but we already have 21 chickens, 4 ducks and 3 geese. I don't want him to hurt himself jumping.

Besides this question I was wondering if someone could give me information about turkeys, Like are they good pets? The type I got is bronze. And how old are they until they start laying eggs?.
So... I hatched 4 turkey poults. One of them scream-chirps most of the time. It has three siblings. It’s not ‘picked on’ by them. They all cuddle together just at the edge of the heat lamps circle. It has abundant food - they have a full crumble feeder and two or three times a day I give them finely chopped grass, dandelion leaves, baby chard and spinach — and water in a chick waterer that is room temperature and changed daily, with the bowl cleaned twice a day. This little noise-maker wants for nothing! It won’t shut up! Hahaha. They are one week old now. They are growing feathers and ‘mouthpiece’ is constantly trying to get out of the brooder box.
If I pick it up and cuddle it under my chin it’s quiet as long as it’s being petted. I can’t hold a turkey poults under my chin all day, lol!
it’s annoying but I think it is ‘normal’. Some animal babies ‘feel’ more deeply, are more easily worried, frightened or are just needier.
make sure it’s vent and feet are clean. Watch to make sure your noisebox is eating and drinking. If it’s doing stay-alive stuff, it’s just expressing its stress.

So... I hatched 4 turkey poults. One of them scream-chirps most of the time. It has three siblings. It’s not ‘picked on’ by them. They all cuddle together just at the edge of the heat lamps circle. It has abundant food - they have a full crumble feeder and two or three times a day I give them finely chopped grass, dandelion leaves, baby chard and spinach — and water in a chick waterer that is room temperature and changed daily, with the bowl cleaned twice a day. This little noise-maker wants for nothing! It won’t shut up! Hahaha. They are one week old now. They are growing feathers and ‘mouthpiece’ is constantly trying to get out of the brooder box.
If I pick it up and cuddle it under my chin it’s quiet as long as it’s being petted. I can’t hold a turkey poults under my chin all day, lol!
it’s annoying but I think it is ‘normal’. Some animal babies ‘feel’ more deeply, are more easily worried, frightened or are just needier.
make sure it’s vent and feet are clean. Watch to make sure your noisebox is eating and drinking. If it’s doing stay-alive stuff, it’s just expressing its stress.
Since you are feeding other than turkey food, make sure that your poults are getting appropriately sized grit.

Your poult is training you well. As long as you keep rewarding it for being noisy, it will continue being noisy. One person solved his noisy poult problem by hanging a feather duster in the brooder. The poult immediately crawled in among the feathers, shut up and went to sleep.

Poults are no different than kids in that if you reward bad behavior, the bad behavior will continue.

Since you are feeding other than turkey food, make sure that your poults are getting appropriately sized grit.

Your poult is training you well. As long as you keep rewarding it for being noisy, it will continue being noisy. One person solved his noisy poult problem by hanging a feather duster in the brooder. The poult immediately crawled in among the feathers, shut up and went to sleep.

Poults are no different than kids in that if you reward bad behavior, the bad behavior will continue.
In a previous response to the original post I mentioned I was getting a real feather duster. Text is so easily misread. I do not ‘reward’ the little noisy one. I said it only shuts up when I cuddle it, but also said I can’t realistically do that all day. That’s not practical, so I don’t do it.
The original person who posted was worried there was something she was doing wrong. My post was to explain how my poults have no earthly reason as they have all they need, and to reassure her that she’s not doing anything wrong. I emphasized that as long as they have food, water, clean environment, their feet and vents are clean, and they are active, eating, drinking and pooping, her poults are getting everything they need from her.

I have 2 : a heritage and Narraganset 6 day old. The Narragansset cries constantly. I am going to try the Stffed animal, e had no idea how needy these babies would be. How long do they stay this needy?

I'm not sure that having 2 poults helps. I've got 2 and all that happened was that both poults cried for me whenever they couldn't see me.

I just ignored them. Otherwise I would have been 24 hours a day at the brooder, talking to them. They are growing up and now they only cry when they see me or hear me talking.
I just got 2 white turkey chicks, and I also got 2 younger chicken chicks to be with them . I have 4 older chicken chicks that are in with them all and everyone gets along, but the turkey chicks don't stop peeping. I even put a wing fan I had in the cage they could go under, but they are ignoring it.

Back
Top Bottom