Well I never did get my nest box construction done they nest in one corner of the shed (I know I should make nest boxes) any how my hens started laying then stopped and now they have started laying eggs again and on Friday May 25 one hen started sitting she is sitting on roughly 14 eggs give or take they are partridge cross white chantecler eggs well we are 4 days in and still everything is is going well

Hope your broody hen does well, and the other leave her alone. If other hens keep laying eggs in her nest, she wouldn't be able to cover them all. You should mark HER eggs and if any others appear, remove them.

i know but how many eggs should she sit on because there already too many should i just mark what looks like she should be able to sit on? i'm new to keeping chickens

thank you for answering my question. I will have to do that soon, what marker should i use? magic marker permanent marker?

thank you for answering my question. I will have to do that soon, what marker should i use? magic marker permanent marker?
Some folks use a pencil, which can wear off and need to be reapplied.
Some use a sharpie, which some folks think is toxic.
It's up to you.
Just make sure you mark it all around the egg so it's easy to see.

well a long time later nothing...dog dug under the wall of the coop right to were the hen was sitting did not hurt the hen but unfortunately she reduced the amount of eggs the hen was sitting on from around 20 to between 12 and 14 or so :(

Back
Top Bottom