1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Bantam Cochin's attitude!!!Help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SIMPleChick, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I have a two and a half week bantam cochin, adorable little one, it will let you pick it up and will sit in your hand and be very content but in the brooder it seems to be very assertive, runs and belly bumps the other, much larger hens and ones that are turning into roos...as well as staring them down. It is SO funny to watch cause it is so small but does this mean my little Dot is a boy??? Or can hens have this behavior too? I will be super sad if it is cause I hand picked it out, being the smallest one there in the straight run bin! His comb is still pink but his little waddles are turning pink! This was last weeks pic.
    [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    If at two weeks old its comb and wattles are turning pink and it has the behavior you are mentioning going on...it's probably a boy. Sorry...but boy bantam cochins are cute too...

3. clarmayfarm

clarmayfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I don't know...some Cochins are difficult to determine sex until they are several weeks old. I have had hens that were pink/red at first, and then their comb became lighter with age. Other hens look like hens from early on.

I wouldnt give up on it being a girl...yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by