my barred rock layed a blue egg!!!!

That is true, & the cross is sex-linked. I bred cuckoo marans hens (cuckoo is a "messier" barring but the same genetics apply) to easter egger roos, and that made sexlinks. In my case, all pullets were black, & all males were cuckoo.

To get cuckoo easter egger pullets, i bred the cuckoo easter egger roos to easter egger hens. Approx. 1/2 of the offspring, both male and female, were cuckoo. The other half were solid colors since my cuckoo easter egger roos only carry one gene for cuckoo.

So if I breed a barred hen to an Ameraucana rooster will the cockerel chicks be the only ones barred since the Ameraucana rooster doesn't carry the gene?
Yes, you can make Sex-links by breeding a Barred hen to a solid rooster. Only the Male chicks will hatch with a headspot, & will be Barred.

I was supposed to get an OE from TSC but looks exactly like yours and lays dark brown eggs! She’s got slightly olive legs compared to others though? This is her with my EE who lays beautiful blue eggs.
Genetics are so hard to determine with these sometimes.

Attachments

• D9B533AF-30DA-42C2-8F7A-109A8AD1C80E.jpeg
    D9B533AF-30DA-42C2-8F7A-109A8AD1C80E.jpeg
    917.3 KB · Views: 7
I was supposed to get an OE from TSC but looks exactly like yours and lays dark brown eggs! She’s got slightly olive legs compared to others though? This is her with my EE who lays beautiful blue eggs.
Genetics are so hard to determine with these sometimes.
My Easter Egger( Aka former barred rock) has slightly oliveish legs too. And my real Easter Egger looks a lot like yours.

My barred rock refuses to lay an egg in the nest boxes the other hens use but she will sit in the nest with them and give them her full support.She has her own nest box in a completely different area and until I gave her her own nest box she laid on the ground:lau.
I love Barred Rocks. They are so funny. Mine follow me around all day talking so much sometimes I have to go inside just to get some quiet time.

Back
Top Bottom