My Barred Rockabillies and Rockets

Jonny Anvil

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Strathcona County, Alberta
Hey Everyone,

I am very new to chickens, and over the weeknd I bought six, what were being sold as Plymouth Barred Rocks, all hatched on april 19th, this year so putting them at 6 weeks old.
After doing some searching on this site and with many of the posts that I have read, I think my new chicks might actually be Cuckoo Marans and not the BR's I was hoping for.
Also I think I might have more Roo's then Pullets.
hmm.png

I will have to take some pics and post them up here as soon as I can, and share these lovely birds with everyone and maybe get a few questions answered.

What more or less seperates the two, Plymouth Barred Rocks and the Cuckoo Marans??

I Look forwards to getting some great pics of the bird's tomorrow to share here in hopes that I can determine who my Roo's are and my Pullets.

Cheers.

Jonny Anvil

Last edited:
These pics might help if yours are boys.... The guy looking at us is a barred rock, and the one behind is the cuckoo marans. You can tell that the BR has more defined barring, where the cuckoo is more mottled, I guess is the word. That's a female cuckoo marans laying down- she's really dark.

36723_br_boy.jpg

Here's a photo of the guys a little older - the marans is in the front. He's not as handsome as the BR but don't tellhim I said it... You can't tell from the pc, but the BR beak & legs are yellow & marans are white. I like the way the yellow looks... BUT as the other person said, if you want brown eggs, go for the Marans!!!

36723_kit_carsonnapolean.jpg

It is interesting that you both mention that, I was discussing this with my father today he also said the same thing...wait until they start lay eggs, if it is almost a chocolate brown means I have Marans. Which is fine by me, I still think they are really nice birds.

I wish I could tell which was male and which was female,
tongue.png
only one of the birds out of them all is lighter color than the rest, also the biggest, but its comb is the smallest and there is no tint of red what so ever compared to the other birds, so based upon what i have read about the two types, Marans and the Rocks i am even more confused.

Have not decided on names yet for any of the birds, Waiting for their personalities to develope first and then I will name them.

Here are some pics of my new chicks

All birds are 49 Days old, so 7 weeks.

On the left is the one that I mentioned was Lighter than the rest, bigger with a smaller comb.

58611_ssa53499.jpg

Birds 1 & 2 ( my two biggest Chickens)

this one is not camera shy...lol #3
58611_ssa53504.jpg

# 4 with a blury # 2
58611_ssa53519.jpg

# 5 is the runt of the bunch
58611_ssa53502.jpg

lastly #6
58611_ssa53530.jpg

Group photo of the birds in their "Temporary" Home
58611_ssa53551.jpg

Weather has put a hault on Coop construction, but so far I have been letting them stretch their legs under close supervision. They sure are cooperative, for the most part.

Well......Those are my 6 birds,
You can see that there feet are not all that yellow, is this just maybe that they have not yet changed to that color?
I am thinking that they are indeed Barred Rocks...
only time will tell, or one of you experts here on the forum lol

Hope you enjoyed the pics...

Cheers

Jonny A

Last edited:
I am rather confused... I thought these were Barred Rocks, but more digging and searching has led me to believe that Barred Rocks have yellow legs... according to the seller they were hatched on the 19th of April, so they should be 7 weeks, or 51 days now???

I guess I will know more when the birds get older, Dark Chocolate eggs mean Marans.

here are some more pics.

Chick 1
DSC02535-1.jpg

Chick 2
DSC02537.jpg

Chick 3
DSC02538.jpg

Chick 4 (PaleFace) This chick has a face that is different then the others Also the biggest chick, and only one with a lighter comb
DSC02540.jpg

Chick 5
DSC02536.jpg

Chick 6 (Runt) The Smallest, I left this chick in the cage for about 30 mins by itself so could get a bite to eat, joined the rest later on.
DSC02542.jpg

Group pic of the Flock
DSC02527.jpg

Last edited:
My BR (I thought) girls have grey legs, does that mean they are cuckoo marans? They are from a local feed store so I would not be surprised if they were mislabeled- the employees there didn't seem to know too much about chickens. Not that it matters, they are very sweet chickies
smile.png

That's the fun part is waiting for the first egg.

Does anyone know as to when the leg and beaks of the Barred rocks would begin to turn yellow if they are indeed barred rocks?

Ascorbic I noticed in your first pic that the one you said was a barred rock, it's legs in the first pic are not that yellow, but as the bird has grown up in the second pic it is clear they are yellower than the previous pic.

Back
Top Bottom