My BAs are Insane!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augustmomx2, Apr 1, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I ordered quite a mix from Ideal hatchery (see below) & have been pleased w/all of my chickies. They turned 3wks today [​IMG]

But, my black Australorps are crazy! They were the loudest when I brought them home and now when I try to hold them. They squak, kick & even try to peck at me. Turning their heads in all these weird directions, just to get a good jab at my hand. Even the extra 7 RIR roos I received, aren't as skittish [​IMG]

I thought they were supposed to be sweet hens? Do they have some major personality change as they get older? My SLWs & BRs are by far the sweetest. They don't mind being held and will hang-out next to you. All the while the BAs are running around like chickens w/their heads cut off [​IMG]

What about your BAs? Did I just get a crazy duo?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I have no idea how long you have been a member, so WELCOME anyways [​IMG] I don't have any BA's - sorry.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I remember my BAs being very noisy chicks but now you could ask for nicer calmer birds.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Interesting.

I have about 10 BA's that came from McMurray; 5 weeks. They are the only ones I can pick up readily, and several will jump on my knee and settle down to rest. I also have BO, NHR, RIR, SS, EE, BR in the group.

Sounds like it is the difference in the hatchery line, maybe?

5. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I have 6 4week BAs from Ideal that are more friendly than the rest, not too noisy, and pretty calm.

6. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    My 2 BAs never acted like that, but the EE were all bad [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got a BA chick who is so sweet. This morning she ran over to me & jumped up into my lap.

The little BO, though, screams bloody murder when you pick her up. DBF has started joining her when she does it. [​IMG] Imagine a peeping chick and a grown man who is yelling "BLOODY MURDER" while making his voice crack. [​IMG]

I [​IMG] that silly guy.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That is odd for BA. They've still got a lot of maturing to do, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep handling them and hopefully they'll decide to behave soon. [​IMG]

9. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I have four BA pullets from Ideal as well, now about 9 months old. They have always been the most skiddish of my flock. [​IMG]
    But, they are great layers [​IMG]

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Sounds like you got the Black sheep of the BA breed hehehee
    mine were exact opposite's as chicks. Good luck with them... maybe treats will work?

nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by