My Basic DIY Incubator

:( aww I'm sorry. Maybe its the cloth you have in there? Its seems like your temp has been very steady throughout, idk what could be causing early deaths :/

sad.png
aww I'm sorry. Maybe its the cloth you have in there? Its seems like your temp has been very steady throughout, idk what could be causing early deaths
hmm.png
I think it was bacteria from the cloth. I got a rubber-y placemat type stuff that I'm going to cut to fit next round, it'll hold less bacteria and be easier to clean.
Also, would a vinegar-peroxide cleaner be enough to clean it this time? Since they died, I want to make sure all bacteria is cleaned out but since Styrofoam is porous I don't want to use something too caustic like bleach.

Tori. Bleach is not as caustic as you think. It is while it is gassing off, but it breaks down into a salt. If you use a bleach solution, and rinse well, then wait until there is NO more bleach smell, you should be golden. Some have recommended putting a copper penny in the water chamber (or where ever you're putting water for humidity.) Copper is a good agent to kill bacteria. I think the pennies have to be pre-1981 to have good copper content. I wish you the best next time around.

Tori. Bleach is not as caustic as you think. It is while it is gassing off, but it breaks down into a salt. If you use a bleach solution, and rinse well, then wait until there is NO more bleach smell, you should be golden. Some have recommended putting a copper penny in the water chamber (or where ever you're putting water for humidity.) Copper is a good agent to kill bacteria. I think the pennies have to be pre-1981 to have good copper content. I wish you the best next time around.

Thanks! :)

I use diluted apple cider vinegar that I made to sanitize things and it has worked for me so far. I'm sure using the rubber mat will clear that problem up also so they aren't setting on the cloth. Bleach would probably work too diluted

I have eggs in incubator on day 17, one is peeping in are cell. this is not an early bird, I think it was already on day 3 when I put it in incubator, making that egg day 20, This is what I think happens to most "early hatchers."

The above pic are the chicks that hatched this morning, the below is the whole group from the weekend,

And my DIY incubator made it in a mag. it comes out next week, BYP April May, pg 19

Back
Top Bottom