my bator is leaking water!

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
I keep adding water to my bator, LG still air but it seems to be leaking out everywhere. I am putting it in where it is suppose to go but now i am worried that my eggs are starting to dry out! any ideas? I just had my DH run to get a sponge but where do i put it? On top of the eggs? I have an automatic egg turner too so i just dont understand!

Are you sure your putting it where you should? The lower end lg models at least only have 2 short troughs and 1 square trough in the exact center. The big open spaces all have vent holes and won't hold water. The design is very limited for humidity and I ended up adding 2 lids that fit in the corners along with damp paper towels. A sponge can either go in the open spaces under the mesh or on top of the mesh if it won't touch any eggs. Do not let anything wet directly touch an egg or it will suck up the moisture and fail to hatch.

I know it will not help this time, but I bought plastic liners online for both of mine. I was always afraid of overfilling the water and it spilling, plus it keeps the bator clean!

Quote:
Have you washed out your 'bator at some point? Mine started leaking all over after I washed it. Even in the two little bars and the square in the middle. Not putting water where the vent holes are. I ended up putting jar lids under the mesh to put water in, and with the turner in place that's a real PITA. One of the things I'm not wild about with the LG. I tried putting sponges in containers in the hatching space after I took the turner out at day 18. It made the 'bator way to crowded.

Next hatch I'm trying sponges cut down to fit in jar lids under the mesh. At least it'll make it easier to see where to direct the water. I'll try to place them under the vent holes so I can squirt the water in with a syringe & a straw.

You probably are over filling the reservoirs.. the outside troughs have holes at each corner. good thing or your eggs would be floating about now..

poke a small hole in the side of the bator in line with a reservoir channel and add water through a straw or piece of tubing..

I attached a small funnel to the tubing..

Back
Top Bottom