My beagle started howling

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
Im wondering if anyone knows why the last couple days my beagle has started to howl. Several times a day she just sits on the couch and lets out a howl. Its kind of cute but I dont know why shes doing it. We've owned her for over a year and she is almost 4. There are other dogs nearby but I never hear them howl.

My mom and dad's beagle will howl just because he wants attention, or he's excited that someone has come in, or Molly (their other dog) has his toy. He is the howlingest dog I've ever seen!!

My beagle on the other hand won't bay at all unless he's tracking.

I think I agree with her wanting attention now that you mention it. Ive been sick for several weeks and she sleeps next to me in bed. And on the other end of it, my grandmother (and others) did notice "unseen" things in this house but I am sensitive and I havent "seen" anything since several weeks after moving in. Thanks for the suggestions.

my Sparkie is a basset/beagle mix (according to the vet, he was dumped, and we brought him home). Fortunately he rarely howls. I have found that he hears/senses things that we cannot. Currently he is on a mission to erradicate our yard of gophers, if he could just catch the little devils LOL he's doing more damage to our yard than the gophers, he digs up thier holes/tunnels. Anyhow, if he's inside and senses a gopher, another dog, or anything that might be after his chickens, he goes wild.

Last week he chased off 2 VERY large dogs-- I told dh that the one looked like a small grizzly-- Sparkie is maybe 20 lbs LOL He chased them off though, and spent the rest of the night pacing the fence line snarling.

Dh's office is just down from the humane society, and we think that Sparkie was dumped there before they opened (they don't open till noon). Dh called me from work and told me that they had been feeding this dog in the office, and if I didn't come get him before the HS opened, that one of the ladies were going to take him there. We didn't know he had any real purpose in life until we got chickens. He was MEANT to be a chicken dog-- and you'd better not mess with his birds!

I thougt I had a picture on photobucket of him, but I don't

And they say they arent good guard dogs...as long as its another animal. Our Sadie likes to sit on the back of the couch and look out the window. OMG, is she sees a cat or ground hog or another dog she goes nuts barking. But she never howled before, and its not a hunting howl, its low. We had mice in the house over the winter, well she saw one and spent the next 2 days stalking it. You could hear her slide into the kitchen cabinets when she chased one under.
lau.gif
But she got it!

our beagles only bark/bay/howl at other critters or when the snow is sliding off my metal roof. shhhhhhwhoooomp! Ouuuuuuoooooohhhhoooouuuuuuuhhhh goes the dogs.. lol.

hmm...next time you take her to the vet you might want to get her hearing checked out, she might be hearing things that make her howl...no kidding..I had a Black and Tan coonhound that bayed all the time because he had a ringing in his one ear! Sounds crazy
smile.png

On the other hand...my now 5 month old puppy has just learned she can bark at things outside....wow...

Our beagle Sam only really howls when he sees someone come up our driveway, and man, he's a better guard/alert dog than our rotti, with all the noise he makes. Sam also howls in his sleep , actually he's doing it right now as he sleeps on my bed.
lol.png
I think some animal see/sense things we can't, our other dogs will bark even when nothing is going on around here and it's quiet, I guess that's because we have a ghost or 2 in this old house.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom