My Bella died suddenly

Iowajones

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
My 2 year old Embdem goose Bella laid 2 eggs a couple weeks ago but no more. Yesterday I thought she was sedentary but eating and drinking. This morning she ate and acted cold but is in a sheltered building so I gave her fresh straw. When I came out for snacks she was dead. I have a male, Beast and he was just horrified tried to protect her body, get into the box and is still very agitated.
How would I know if it was an impacted egg? What will happen if I keep Beast alone until I can raise gosling? His heart is broken. I clean their 50g tank biweekly give grass, scratch grains, and Romain lettuce for snack. She was eating and walking around this morning. My heart. My heart is broken. She never lost weight or acted sick.

My 2 year old Embdem goose Bella laid 2 eggs a couple weeks ago but no more. Yesterday I thought she was sedentary but eating and drinking. This morning she ate and acted cold but is in a sheltered building so I gave her fresh straw. When I came out for snacks she was dead. I have a male, Beast and he was just horrified tried to protect her body, get into the box and is still very agitated.
How would I know if it was an impacted egg? What will happen if I keep Beast alone until I can raise gosling? His heart is broken. I clean their 50g tank biweekly give grass, scratch grains, and Romain lettuce for snack. She was eating and walking around this morning. My heart. My heart is broken. She never lost weight or acted sick.
I have no idea what happened. They don't always give us much warning when they don't feel well.
:hugs

Im so sorry. I had my embden x pomeranian goose pass suddenly and unexpectedly and it wrecked me. She was only one year old. No signs of anything wrong, just found her stiff with her head under her wing like she was sleeping. I've heard geese can suffer heart attacks so I wonder if it was that. I hope you can find a reason. If you're willing, maybe look up your local state labs and see if you can send her in for a necropsy, unless you're willing to do it yourself.

Im so sorry. I had my embden x pomeranian goose pass suddenly and unexpectedly and it wrecked me. She was only one year old. No signs of anything wrong, just found her stiff with her head under her wing like she was sleeping. I've heard geese can suffer heart attacks so I wonder if it was that. I hope you can find a reason. If you're willing, maybe look up your local state labs and see if you can send her in for a necropsy, unless you're willing to do it yourself.
Thank you.. I've performed necropolis on wild birds but when I tried on my girl, Red (my chicken), the tears kept blurring my vision. I'm hoping my large animal vet will do Bella for me. I really need to know what happened.

I’m so sorry for your loss!

As for Beast he will continue to grieve, and he needs a partner as soon as possible. If you can get some goslings or start incubating now they’ll give him purpose and he’ll focus on them, if not you can look around on Craigslist, Facebook groups, or rescue websites if anyone has any geese they’re looking to rehome.

I’m so sorry for your loss!

As for Beast he will continue to grieve, and he needs a partner as soon as possible. If you can get some goslings or start incubating now they’ll give him purpose and he’ll focus on them, if not you can look around on Craigslist, Facebook groups, or rescue websites if anyone has any geese they’re looking to rehome.
I'm worried about putting goslings in. He won't hurt them? I have chickens but read he may try to mate them and injure or kill one in the process. I can't take another loss. They produce eggs but they're mainly pets. What do you think?

I have no idea what happened. They don't always give us much warning when they don't feel well.
:hugs
Thank you so much. Yes it's a great loss. She was so beautiful.

I'm worried about putting goslings in. He won't hurt them? I have chickens but read he may try to mate them and injure or kill one in the process. I can't take another loss. They produce eggs but they're mainly pets. What do you think?
Ganders can be wonderful dads, they’ll adopt babies that aren’t theirs, sometimes babies of other species.
I would introduce goslings that are a week to 2 weeks old, they’re a bit sturdier, you also might have to supervise his first few encounters with them to make sure he isn’t aggressive, sometimes ganders can be, usually because they don’t realize that they are goslings, but typically if they figure out that they’re babies and not something else they’ll take to them fairly quickly.

Ganders can be wonderful dads, they’ll adopt babies that aren’t theirs, sometimes babies of other species.
I would introduce goslings that are a week to 2 weeks old, they’re a bit sturdier, you also might have to supervise his first few encounters with them to make sure he isn’t aggressive, sometimes ganders can be, usually because they don’t realize that they are goslings, but typically if they figure out that they’re babies and not something else they’ll take to them fairly quickly.
I Have located a rescued female and she also has 2 goslings. After a quarantine and clearance from the vet I will talk to the rescue. Goslings would sure be nice and I put some heat in my barn for all my little ones. I have 11 chickens too. Thank you, I really appreciate the help and kindness. Not everyone gets how we love them so much.

Back
Top Bottom