My Beloved Roo Is Becoming A Problem...despite all attempts to turn him around.

Re: chynasparks

When you say you worry that your roo will turn out mean, I have to chuckle at myself because that is exactly what I was thinking about my rooster all this time I was having trouble with him. I would occasionally read a post from someone who seems to know a lot about roosters, and they would say that out of their ten thousand roosters they have raised, maybe one had to go to the freezer. And I wondered, who are these people and why do I have the ONE that needs to go to the freezer?

I have been dealing with my rooster's aggression for a year now. He is about a year and a half old. I eventually got to the point where I left the roo in his own run while I let the ladies out so I would not have to deal with his relentless attacks. This is similar to what you suggest about leaving your roo while you take the ladies to their run. I have to tell you, avoiding contact with him will NOT work. He will pace the run, and over time will charge the fence when you come near, ultimately becoming more aggressive. If your rooster does begin to display aggression as he grows, your best bet is to head it off by dealing with him directly. There is a lot of good advice in this thread, so if you need to head off aggressive tendencies, do it early ! Don't wait like I did.

My rooster, who I had given up hope on, is rapidly becoming a nice bird by using the advice detailed in earlier posts. I hope you have success raising your roo !

I let him know im alpha bird and today he barely flinched when I came in. ..I sing him songs and let him know I appreciate his protecting the ladies. .

Roosters appreciate singing. I know mine pays close attention when I sing to him.

Or maybe he's just revealing his misgivings over the quality of my singing.

again - sometimes one can't 'fix' the problem (rooster). Unless one can hire the rooster recovery lady
smile.png

I have a young rooster who is very similar. He is not my pet so I don't mind aggression, especially since I keep roosters for hen protection.

However, when he jumps into the stroller after my toddler, or attacks me, he gets a kick or broom to the butt. He just walks off growling of course. I am raising eggs/chicks currently for both rooster appeasement and more eggs/meat gifts to the neighbors. I tried holding him down in dominance, but that ended with a scar on my foot. Hmph!

My grandpa suggested dunking him in water and throwing him, my husband wants to kill him, and I'd rather the human attacks stopped. :confused:

Good luck, hon! :hugs

Wow! He jumps into the stroller? ??

Yup. Sprints across the yard when he hears her and jumps in to get her. She thinks he's playing and hits him, but mostly I yank him out in time. No scratches yet! I try not to have them in the yard at the same time... but he now spends the time apart staring in the door at her/crowing at her when she knocks at him. :smack

Yup. Sprints across the yard when he hears her and jumps in to get her. She thinks he's playing and hits him, but mostly I yank him out in time. No scratches yet! I try not to have them in the yard at the same time... but he now spends the time apart staring in the door at her/crowing at her when she knocks at him.
smack.gif

I would get rid of that bird or pen him up. Very dangerous behavior with a small child involved. It only takes once for a spur to get in the eye for irreversible damage to be done.

Back
Top Bottom