My best girl in a full on hard molt

Dirtclawed

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Suisun City CA
I am In northern cal so my winters aren't as bad as most,
when I got my first girls I started with a giant dog kennel and then graduated to a pre fab coop,then of course expanded and got a few more local hens,
I don't have to many predator's so I am a little liberal about leaving my coop windows and doors open most of the time,they do have hardware cloth.when I can I let the girls Rome free ,,cats hawks and night racoons are all I have to worry about so I let them sleep with windows open, they like it cause that is where they roost at night(by the window)
Helen is in a full on hard molt and I was wondering should I close the coop all the way up for her to retain heat, it has not hit 30 or high 20s yet as far as temp ..I have been giving her peanut butter on heal bread as a snack for protean
Any suggestions would be great
these are my learning curve hens and so far they have taught me a ton

Attachments

• PICT0014 (1).JPG
    PICT0014 (1).JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 17
  • PICT0007 (1).JPG
    PICT0007 (1).JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0010 (1).JPG
    PICT0010 (1).JPG
    497.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PICT0002 (1).JPG
    PICT0002 (1).JPG
    696.8 KB · Views: 11
  • PICT0011 (1).JPG
    PICT0011 (1).JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 10
She has others to roost with correct?
I would not close the coop completely up, she should be fine.

NOW...IF it's extremely windy and turns COLD, then I would probably close/partially close the window on the windy side if there is good ventilation for the coop.
ty she does have roost mates at night ,and we are getting pounded with rain so far

I think she's going to be fine. Peanut butter and bread really doesn't have a lot of protein, so you should give her some high protein food to help the feathers to grow back quicker, such as a tiny bit of dry cat food, meal worms, some scrambled cooked eggs.

I think she's going to be fine. Peanut butter and bread really doesn't have a lot of protein, so you should give her some high protein food to help the feathers to grow back quicker, such as a tiny bit of dry cat food, meal worms, some scrambled cooked eggs.
Happens to be a 20% protien feed at a store close to me I was thinking about trying it..

Back
Top Bottom