My bird bites me?

Do you know how many homes Puff has had? Moving is very stressful for birds that have bonded with their previous owners and multiple homes can cause behavioural issues. Puff must be bonded to Bill to be stressed when he's gone too long. I'd sit with Bill near Puff and interact with Bill, give him treats, share your food with him and hope that Puff will follow Bill's lead and learn to trust you. If it's an issue taking Puff out of his cage then just leave him in there with the door open. Let him come around in his own time.
I don't know how many homes they have had, but I can probably find out, and yes, Puff and Bill are bonded, and will often preen each other. Puff has no problem coming out of his cage, and will often sit on top of it, the only problem comes when you offer him your arm. It turns out he will occasionally step onto a perch, to be rewarded with treats. Thank you for the advice! :D

I don't know how many homes they have had, but I can probably find out, and yes, Puff and Bill are bonded, and will often preen each other. Puff has no problem coming out of his cage, and will often sit on top of it, the only problem comes when you offer him your arm. It turns out he will occasionally step onto a perch, to be rewarded with treats. Thank you for the advice! :D
Now is your best chance to make good new habits! While they are learning about their new home (read: how to manipulate this new human) when he steps on the perch, take him somewhere else in the house for practice, away from the cage. Bring Bill, too. They learn better if you train them consistently in a place away from their territory. I know it is very difficult to be consistent, but they love routine!

I would not force myself on any bird. Just let him take his time adjusting to you and his new surroundings. Some birds are extremely friendly and others only want you to feed them and they don't want you to look at them too hard when you are doing that. Hang out with him sit next to his cage and read a book with no quick movements, and offer him a treat every now and then. If he never becomes a "cuddle bug", you take care of him and love him anyway. Im sure you will do great!

Where did you get your conures; from Craigslist or somewhere else?

I got my Amazon from Craigslist.....it took her at least 2 years to fully trust me, as she was a biter as well. She could step up pretty well, but came from a home where the surroundings were not as quiet. The former owner yelled and and yelled at her dogs and other animals, which caused a lot of anxiety in my parrot.

Sounds like he is very dependent on Bill. You may need to stick train Puff for a while.
https://www.thespruce.com/training-aggressive-birds-390281

Do you know the sex of your birds? If Puff is a boy and "Bill" is a girl, this behavior may continue, because Puff thinks he's protecting her from dangers & from rivals. Does Puff try to get in between you and Bill if you come near, to block you? If so, that is classic male protection behavior.

I recently adopted two conures. A 17 year old sun conure named Bill, and a 27 year old nanday conure named Puff. Bill is very social and will fly to my shoulder, but Puff isn't adjusting as well. He bites, frequently drawing blood, and screams when Bill leaves the room for too long. :( What would be the best way to gain Bill trust? Thanks in advance!
Try being friendly with Bill wait for Bill to trust you
feed Bill his favorite treat see if he likes you

Our Senegal was 8 months old when we got her and spent 4 months biting and acting scared. 3 years later she is very loving, but she will still nip if the mood takes her or she doesnt want to do something like go into her cage, I have learned that if she is likely to nip I can wear an oven glove to protect my hand.

Back
Top Bottom