my bird ferd

dnomla

Chirping
Oct 19, 2013
I have 3 hens from last year. I got 6 more chicks and a rooster this year. Everybody was fine until mr rooster grew up and started to crow. Then he singled out one of the old hens and started ripping her feather out of her neck. one night i went up to count them and lock them up for the night and ferd was missing. I found her hiding under the coup, terrified. When I finally pulled her out, the entire back of her neck had been ripped off. I separated her and she was healing fine. she was outside out one day and the rooster caught eye of her. He immediately went after her, i kicked him and he got up and went after her again. He ripped her neck open again and was determined to kill her. He went to chicken heaven instead. She has healed nicely, and was slowly reintroduced into the flock as one of the older hens was now going after her. At this point they are all in the coop but Ferd is wary of the older hen. She is fine with all the other hens and they are fine with her. Her crown never did develop since last year when we got her and it is a pale pink. Other then that she seems fine. What if anything do I do about her crown. Is there a problem that caused the rooster to try to kill her? Thanks, dnomla

Could you post a picture of her comb (which is what I think you mean by "crown)? Her comb might not be large because she is a rose comb or pea combed bird. Is she laying? A bird that doesn't lay often has a small pink comb. And, have you wormed them? A worm infestation can also cause pale, small combs. Does she look healthy other than her comb being pink and small?

I do not think that the rooster tried to "kill her" because there was a problem with her. He probably got overexuberant in his attempts to mate her, and drew blood. Chickens go crazy when they see blood, and often peck the injured bird to death.

Thank you. I am not good at uploading pics, but I will try. We felt bad about putting roo down, but everything we read on the internet said he should protect them and not harm him. If you could have seen the way he went after her. My husband sis not believe it either until he saw it and that was when he put him down. I do know that they others will join in if they see blood but the entire back of her neck down to
+th bone was gone. Thanks again.

Here is the picture of ferd. on here her comb looks ok but it is really a pale pink color. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom