My bird is worse after treatment...help

Sheila Ray

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Philpot, Ky.
I was treating with Sulmet, for suspected cocci. I realized after 4 days I had not reduced the dosage, so I reduced at 4 days, then stopped at 7 days. Since stopping he appears to be blocked up... have massaged crop to get it passed, put oil in water to help it pass, but everything he eats, which is very little, still impacts the crop. His stools are less bloody, but still diarea. What should I do next? His body is hard, breastbone protruding...poor baby...

I would suggest using a dropper or syringe and giving it a drop of oil directly in his beak, then massage again. Once things get moving again, get some vitamins/electrolytes to help it recover lost nutrients from the sulmet and not eating :)

I was treating with Sulmet, for suspected cocci. I realized after 4 days I had not reduced the dosage, so I reduced at 4 days, then stopped at 7 days. Since stopping he appears to be blocked up... have massaged crop to get it passed, put oil in water to help it pass, but everything he eats, which is very little, still impacts the crop. His stools are less bloody, but still diarea. What should I do next? His body is hard, breastbone protruding...poor baby...
How old is your rooster?

and as far as the electrolytes u can us Gatorade for that..and pull his tongue out and see if he has a scale on his tongue that could be a reason why hes not eating much cause its hard for him to get it down..

OK...I have Wazine...will that be ok? thanks...
Wazine will have to do for now. Dosage is one ounce per one gallon of water for 24 hours only. Put it out first thing in the morning before you let him out of the coop, it must be the sole source of water to drink during the 24 hour period.
If you have other chickens, let them drink it as well. If one birds has worms, most likely the others have them as well.
Discard the treated water after the 24 hours are up and provide them with regular freshwater. Reworm your birds in 10 days with a broad spectrum wormer such as valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage for either wormer is orally undiluted, 1/2cc given orally to each chicken.

Ok...thanks everyone...I had some vitamins, too, they are in his water now. He is inside (kenneled) so not among the others. I do usually worm everyone in Spring, But, I had not done that yet. I will do all this weekend. He will get worm meds in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom