My birds are starving to death...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Aug 13, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Or so they think!! [​IMG]

I put the feed down and you swear they haven't eaten in a week! They are 4 weeks old. I can't imagine walking in the pen when they're full sized...[​IMG] Don't fall down!!! You'll be consumed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    greedy piggies! [​IMG]

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    my turkeys act like that too. and they are fed alot 3 times a day but Im making a bucket feeder for them so maybe they will calm down.

4. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I'm still wearing shorts when I go to feed them, but once they're 5 or 6 weeks old, I've learned to keep my legs covered.

They're strange creatures... Even if they have half of their feed left, if I put in a couple more scoops, they go insane! I think they must really like the big corn pieces as these seem to disappear first.

5. DottieMarie

DottieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    South East MI
    I find their eating habits surprising. We've experienced the same thing, you can take their feeder and place it in a new spot and they all come running and act as if it's the first time they've seen food all day. Very funny!

6. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

They are funny creatures aren't they? Our even if you feed them and then an hour later they think they hear something in your hand come running for more feed. Usually their feed things still have feed in it....they are so funny ... it is like they are missing something.

7. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    those little greedy things! [​IMG]

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    What kills me is when I put out chick starter for the little ones when they join the flock (usually with their mom). Those guys act like I've given them the best thing since white on bread!! (Although they love that too!) LOL And it's not even meant for them!!! Hey, go eat your own food!!!

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:If you look anything like the guy in your avatar,you don't look like the kinda guy that wears shorts.
    I agree on their feeding habits,I think they eat on instinct.Just the sight of food going in their feeder triggers them.Sometimes even after they've eaten I've gone back in an tapped the scoop on their troughs and they would all go back after it.
    Still want to see them shorts! Will

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    LOLOL Me too, Will! Come on, Uncle Hoot! Show us a full shot!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by