My birds hate me!

Mine don't get gamebird feed anymore, they get laying mash and they lay like crazy. A sudden change in your feed would make them stop laying until they were used to it.

My general rule of thumb is....the more feed, no matter what the name/brand/protein content is that you get into your birds the better.
Greens are diversions and if over fed, may cause loss of egg production. IMHO

Just because an animal appears to love to eat something doesn't mean that it's best for them.

I spend 2-4 hours a day cooking for 3 humans, 2 dogs, and one cat.
Anything else will have to eat straight out of the (well) balanced bag. There are always exceptions to that rule,
smile.png

I'm just not pulling out a pot and boiling eggs (because they like it) mean ole ME thinks that decades of research, formulation and science are a pretty good start.

Sorry for my rant
old.gif

Ken

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree - I tried using chicken layer for my quail and they stopped laying. Switched back to Startena and they started laying again within a few days! Now I get at least one egg a day from each of my 9 hens - sometimes two!

C&C on 31 has Game Bird Chow starter and grower. Mine layed just fine on the starter (crumbles), I bought a bag of the grower which is a mix of seed and pellets, the birds did not like it. Pheasants like it just fine though. Futrals has a Game Bird grower(?) that is all crumbles (I can check the bag if you want to be sure). My birds like it better and lay just fine on it. I refuse to pay TSC what they are asking for their Game Bird feed so I have no idea what it is like.

I only got two eggs as yesterday as well, but I'm down to two females. Had some problems
hmm.png
I've got a bator full of eggs that are set to pip starting tomorrow though.

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom