My birds hate me!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by magikchick, Aug 7, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    They must they still don't lay. They are 18 weeks old I get an egg once in a while. I have 16 hens no eggs. I'm feeding 24% chick starter and give them cat food, yoguart, greens and fruit. I see mating going on so what gives? These are coturnix by the way.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would use game food for them and see about the change!

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Songster

#1 rule,,,A balanced game bird layer ration is the way to go, If Game birds get to fat or do not have the proper diet there production will be lost..

~Wilds~

4. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Who makes a game bird layer?

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    farrier! :

I use gamebird starter for my adults they lay extremely well. I reccomend just finding any game bird (nonmedicated), turkey feed will even work.​

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    farrier! :

Purina makes a game bird layer, but I have to special-order it through my feed store.

ETA: I feed mine a medicated game bird starter and it doesn't affect them. Is it possible they are eating the eggs?​

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I really don't think what food you use will make a difference. I use laying mash with mine and they still lay every day. Where do you have them? Check into if they get enough light every day. Mine are in a covered area but they still get plenty of light during the day. You may have to add a light to their pen on a timer.
    However, if they are mating they may be getting ready to lay anyway but they are very late.

8. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I found the gamebird starter feed at last. Will try that and see if it makes a difference.

9. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Purina makes a Game Bird Chow Game Bird Breeder Layena.
    That's what we feed our older Quail and we get LOTS of eggs...

We use the Game Bird Startena for chicks until 7 or 8 weeks old when they begin laying then switch gradually over to Layena.
    http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=gamebird

I imagine the higher protein Startena isn't bad for them but we get good results and figure the Layena has more shell strengthening ingredients in it. ~shrug~

David

10. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    Feed does make a difference. Mine were laying great. Feed store ran out of gamebird feed, started feeding chick starter, eggs stopped. We started the gamebird feed back last week and I am getting lots of eggs again.

Didn't mean to do a feed test, but guess I did by accident. The Purina Gamebird is great on my quail. I am buying an extra bag now just so that won't happen again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: