My birds think they live inside the house...

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
So my last batch of chicks hatched out July 7th, and because they are the last batch of the year they've been more spoiled than any other batch so far this year. They are now 9 weeks old and still coming inside the house at night, mostly because my mother and my kids think it's "too cold outside for them at night".
roll.png
This batch consists of 5 Marans, 9 Silkies, a White Orpington, a little mutt chick that is probably a Bantam Buff Orpington/Bantam Cochin mix, and 3 Silkie/Cochin mixed chicks. Well, the Marans are by no means stupid. I can't get any of these babies to stay in the chicken yard. Instead they hop through the fence and come and lounge on the patio or under my little evergreen bush in front of the patio, and they eat up the bugs in my yard. Well, when dusk comes, they come up onto the patio, then up onto the porch, and they stand in front of the door and cry incessantly and peck at the door. If I open the door, they start walking in, they cross the dining room into the living room, and go to their brooder! The ring leader is Bleu, a Blue Marans that is actually a light blue, and so beautiful. We think Bleu is a cockerel, but aren't sure. Right behind him are the other Marans, the White Orpington (Angel), and the Silkie/Cochin mixes. The Silkies aren't quite as smart and they will follow Bleu as far as the door, but they are afraid to come inside, so we have to scoop them up and bring them in. Silly birds...

I can't take pics, no batteries for the camera, but I hope to catch some pics before I sell the rest that I plan to sell and move the rest out to the coop. 9 weeks is too long to be inside!!!

Not familiar with your temperatures where you are...what does it drop down to?From July 7th until now is quite a long time....they should be more than able to stay outside in their coop and with out heat.

It isn't too cold outside for 9 week old chicks, especially if there are a number of them.

They just like to come in, and they have you well trained!,

Sandie

Oh that is so cute! I just got video of one of my 5 wk old EE chicks at the patio door crying like crazy, pecking and scratching at the screen to be let in for the night. Mine are still coming in at night because it gets into the 40s at night, I'm a first time chicken mom, and "I'm" not ready to leave them outside (there are 3 of them) alone. The chick was crying at the door because her 2 companions had already been carried upstairs to the brooder and she was the last one left out (her own fault since she doesn't like being picked up!). I'm not sure if I'll be able to house them indoors at 9 weeks old though. They'll be getting so big!

Try changing the TV channel so they can't watch their favorite news hour anymore. And stop the ice cream&cookies for their bedtime snack. Tell them their pj's and fuzzy slippers are in their "big kid" beds. Offer their favorite bedtime story in the big kid beds, but once its lights out, thats it... But make sure you tell them you love them, how special they are and you're SO proud of them for growing up.
idunno.gif

6chickens in St. Charles :

Try changing the TV channel so they can't watch their favorite news hour anymore. And stop the ice cream&cookies for their bedtime snack. Tell them their pj's and fuzzy slippers are in their "big kid" beds. Offer their favorite bedtime story in the big kid beds, but once its lights out, thats it... But make sure you tell them you love them, how special they are and you're SO proud of them for growing up.
idunno.gif

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom