My Black Australorp is sneezing!

audreydc1983

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
I first noticed yesterday that my Black Australorp is sneezing. She looks healthy - red comb, alert demeanor, bright eyes - and there are no other "symptoms." I cleaned the coop, so it's probably not an ammonia/bedding issue. No dust out here in Western WA - but cold, windy, and rainy. I was thinking it could probably be the rain getting in her nostrils. Thoughts?
idunno.gif

I also have a rooster that is sneezing and kind of wheezing but he is alert and bright eyed. I cleaned the coop today but I don't know if that was it.

Ugh, same problem. I have two hens, a Wyandotte and a Faverolles, who will occasionally make that squeaking sound that counts as a chicken sneeze. It's been cold here as well, but not much weather. The coop is clean and they range all day, no other signs of illness, I just dont get it
hu.gif

This time of year chickens contract respiratory illness easily. My flock is dealing with it now. Watch for signs of runny noses, swollen areas under eyes and runny eyes. Mine all started out with just sneezes too. It can easily be treated but if left too long can be fatal. Be aware and watch them close.

I am using sulfadimthoxine oral solution. You can use duramycin-10 which is an antibiotic powder. You treat for 7 days and you should start seeing improvement with in a couple days, if no improvement in a few days you need to switch medicines.

I first noticed yesterday that my Black Australorp is sneezing. She looks healthy - red comb, alert demeanor, bright eyes - and there are no other "symptoms." I cleaned the coop, so it's probably not an ammonia/bedding issue. No dust out here in Western WA - but cold, windy, and rainy. I was thinking it could probably be the rain getting in her nostrils. Thoughts?
idunno.gif

I also have a rooster that is sneezing and kind of wheezing but he is alert and bright eyed. I cleaned the coop today but I don't know if that was it.

Ugh, same problem. I have two hens, a Wyandotte and a Faverolles, who will occasionally make that squeaking sound that counts as a chicken sneeze. It's been cold here as well, but not much weather. The coop is clean and they range all day, no other signs of illness, I just dont get it
hu.gif

Four birds w/ one stone ... might be settin' a BYC record ~'-)

Give your birds an astringent solution at the rate of four teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to each gallon of water (but never in galvanized metal containers). The tannin in ACV will reduce the viscosity of mucus, and 'cuts through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, improving the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and is useful in the treatment of any respiratory disease, as it helps them to expel the mucus from their system. It also reduces the presence of botulism, and is the only effective treatment for the toxin it produces. The target pH is 5~6, or slightly acidic, which also creates a hostile environment for internal parasites ... all that goodness, and for quite literally pennies per gallon ~;-)

It can (and probably should) be given continuously, and truly can't harm a single feather on your birds ...

Still no change - although I noticed tonight that when she was in the coop, she didn't sneeze. I'm thinking it's environmental - I'm just a nervous new chicken mommie, and this is my favorite girl, so I'm probaby getting ahead of myself. No strange behavior, no swelling near the eyes (or anywhere else for that matter), no discharge from nostrils or eyes, bird still alert and poops all normal.
I'm starting to think that I'm freaking out over nothing...but I think I might go ahead and try the apple cider vinegar "cure" just in case. I don't like the sound of giving my birds antibiotics they might not need...If I use them now, when they DO need them later, they might not work!

Four birds w/ one stone ... might be settin' a BYC record ~'-)

Give your birds an astringent solution at the rate of four teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to each gallon of water (but never in galvanized metal containers). The tannin in ACV will reduce the viscosity of mucus, and 'cuts through' the coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, improving the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and is useful in the treatment of any respiratory disease, as it helps them to expel the mucus from their system. It also reduces the presence of botulism, and is the only effective treatment for the toxin it produces. The target pH is 5~6, or slightly acidic, which also creates a hostile environment for internal parasites ... all that goodness, and for quite literally pennies per gallon ~;-)

It can (and probably should) be given continuously, and truly can't harm a single feather on your birds ...

This is so useful! Thank you, will (attempt to) try that for the next week or so.

Back
Top Bottom