My black sex link hen is acting strange

genesis1verse1

Songster
11 Years
Oct 20, 2012
North East Texas
I have a black sex link hen who is 8 months old. She usually does the same thing that all the other hens do, eat, poop, sleep, act curious, etc. For the last couple of days she has been off by herself more and today she went into the hen house in the middle of the day to roost. I got her out so she could have the treats I was giving to the others and a little later she went back in to roost again. Later on I opened up the large pen to let them all free range a little bit, which they love to do and so I got her out again. She went out for a little bit then she just found a corner of the fence and just laid there while all the others were running around happily doing their thing. Eventually, she went back into the hen house and roosted again and that time I left her there. She looks very healthy and occasionally acts perfectly normal. I don't think she has laid any eggs in a while. Is she broody? If so, why is she going to the roost? I thought they went to the nesting boxes and sat when they go broody. I'm all for a broody hen if we weren't about to be winter but for now I don't think it's a good idea. What should I do?

A Hunch (& nothing more): Are her Eyes normal looking? Maybe she thinks it is darker than it really is. OR, could she been affrighted by some Thing and be now Skittish?

I'd check her vision.. toss some treats to just her. We had a red sex link go blind. She'd just stand in the coop or run all day. We had to cull her because the others kept picking/torturing her. But if she's getting back on the roost she must be able to see?

A Hunch (& nothing more): Are her Eyes normal looking? Maybe she thinks it is darker than it really is. OR, could she been affrighted by some Thing and be now Skittish?

Yes, it is possible that she is being skittish. A couple of weeks ago we got a rooster and he is really doing his thing with all the hens. Could that be it? We jokingly thought it might be him but maybe she really is trying to get away from him.

I'd check her vision.. toss some treats to just her. We had a red sex link go blind. She'd just stand in the coop or run all day. We had to cull her because the others kept picking/torturing her. But if she's getting back on the roost she must be able to see?

I think her vision is ok. She has no problem hopping up onto the roost. She went for the treats when I pulled her out of the hen house, she is just laying low I guess.

Well hopefully she'll get used to the roo and snap out of it soon
smile.png

All my Hens kept in the Coop after a notorious Hawk attackt them one Day; they waited several Days before returning to Normal.

Back
Top Bottom