My blue cochin hen (pic)

peeps7

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
North Carolina
My standard blue cochin hen is 1 out of the 3 that survived out of 19 cochins. Is she good quality? She has massive foot feathering and excellent type, I think, lol.

MyPictures217.jpg

MyPictures214.jpg

Edited to say: sorry about the bad pics, she wouldn't hold still, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks!! I was just wondering about her because alot of people put pictures of their cochins on here and she looks alot like the show quality ones.

What do I know.....but my cochin (bantams) and the show ones I have seen have a "rounder butt"
big_smile.png
. The feathers are higher and rounder, if that makes any sense....

The bantams have the extreme "round butt", lol, But I was looking at standards and even the best show quality standards don't have the roundness of bantams.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
First its a very pretty bird.

I get Poultry Press - The cochins that win , have almost no back, by that I mean the cushion almost runs into the hackles.
The Blue colored birds should be slate blue and laced with black feathers on most of their body. In the picture your birds feathered appear muddied, by that I mean , their is black in the middle area where it should only be slate blue, of course that could just be the picture.

PS. I did check the items above in the American Standard of Perfection 1998 - which is always at my desk.

Last edited:
Okey dokey, I was just wondering. We have had alot of rain and my birds lok pitiful from it, they seem to like standing in the rain instead of getting out of it.
he.gif
Maybe I'll give them a bath today and see what she looks like. Show quality or not she is my "big blue", lol.
tongue.png

Here is a pic of one of my little boys. Maybe this will help explain what pipermark was saying about the tail/cushion. Although this one doesnt go all the way up to the neck, it is a little more pronounced than yours. Yours by the way, is gorgeous!! Best of luck with her.

ChickenShowJanuary2008046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom