My blue cochin was setting on eggs this spring and the first one

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by godsgurl4evr, Oct 1, 2010.

1. godsgurl4evr

godsgurl4evr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Bladensburg, Ohio
    had hatched when the next day we brought home 100 Delaware roosters (for meat birds) Well this is a picture of what happened. Unfortunately she abandoned her nest when she herd the newbies peeping next door. In the pile you can see one little black head of her chick. These were the happiest, healthiest, most well adjusted hatchery chicks ever I believe because they had a real momma. I loved watching her give "chick back rides" it wasn't uncommon to see her walking around with 3 or 4 on her back. she was wonderful with them!

[​IMG]

2. Braclin

Braclin KY Chicken Farmer

Jul 5, 2010
    Owingsville,KY
    That is so awesome [​IMG]

3. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    That is such a cute picture!!

4. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Was she taking care of all of them? It has to be a tiring job.[​IMG]

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    [​IMG] Wow what a picture. Looks like she had her hands full! She is definitely a keeper!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG]

My broody Ameraucana won't even accept chicks that she brooded on, yet I had to manually help hatch, then put the chick back under her. She'd peck them nearly to death if I didn't immediately get rid of them.

But seriously, WOW that is some job!!

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Crikey.....hens really have no concept of the impossible do they?

Lovely pics.

Sandie

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:My thoughts, exactly.

I bet those little meaties thought they were in heaven! MOM!!!!!!!!

9. godsgurl4evr

godsgurl4evr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Bladensburg, Ohio
    she was/is an amazing momma! She just hatched a new batch of 6 chicks. I love this chicken. I had a cuckoo maran that raised up a bunch of hatchery chicks for me also. Hers were 2 or 3 days old when I brought them home so I just slipped about 15 of them under her from behind....If chickens are anything like other critters I'm assuming they know the smell of their own brood...as long as I slipped them under her she accepted them. If I just tried to put them in the hen with them it was a no go. I find the hatchery chicks that I can get a momma to raise are a lot stronger well adjusted and happier chickens where the ones I keep under a heat lamp seem to grow slower and require the light for what seems like a LOOOOOOONG time. I have 3 hens with chicks now...it amazes me how these hens with chicks will run around on brisk cool mornings and the chicks never peep but a hatchery chick would be freezing to death, huddled in some corner not knowing what to do with themselves. I want more cochins to use as incubators [​IMG]

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That's has the be the cutest picture I have ever seen! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    100 babies .. that's a happy hen right there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by