my BO hen just died, please help me figure out why...

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
My 8 month old BO hen died this am. I went down to let them out of the coop to free range and she was laying on the floor of the coop dead. Her body was still warm as if she were alive. There is no way an animal could have gotten to her in the coop. I see no cuts and she did lay an egg yesterday like always. It's spring here and the weather is great. She was out all day with the other chickens yesterday and felt great. I picked her up yesterday and said good morning and she looked great. Any ideas of with could have happened to our sweet little crazycomb?

Last edited:
check her neck especially on the back, if there are small punctures it could be a weasel. Other than that it could have been that the other burds just crushed her buy sitting on her trying to keep warm overnight.

so sad. This seems to be a common occurance. Just here one minute and gone the next. I don't understand. So sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif

Thank you biddieacres for your kind words. Also thank you keystonebantams for helping me figure it out. The coop my husband built is like a fortress. He's a general contractor and a bit if an overbuilder so there's know way any animals could have gotten into the coop. I'm in Ga and the weather is warm now but, if it wasn't the coop is heated. You can see why this is such a mystery to me. I am not looking forward to telling the children when they get home that their sweet girl is gone.

Shucks.

Haven't noticed any sickness with any of them?

I lost three a couple of weeks ago to a nasty virus of some sort.

Compared to the other hens--is she thin? Sometimes chickens hve "failure to thrive" as in--the others are more assertive and they wonlt let her near the food, the pick on her, shun her, and she therefore "fails to thrive. My sil rescued a bird like this. --before she died and now she is healthy and happy.

Gosh, it could be SO many things. SHe could have hit her head when flying down from the roost, they can have heart "attacks" (failure), there's no way to know unless you have a necropsy done by your state vet. I'm so sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif

Shoot, good luck with the children. When I told my son one of his favorite hens died it was the hardest thing I had to do. (knowing that he is very sensitive) he had a good cry but seemed to snap out of it fairly quickly, which surprised me. I can sympathize with you and will be sending best wishes when the children get home.

My 8.5 month easter egger just died suddenly, yesterday. Very similar - I just found her like she had fallen off the roost, dead. I think she might have had something wrong internally, or just had a heart attack. I guess this happens with young chickens.

I'm sorry about your girl. I've had a couple good crys about mine.
hugs.gif

Quote:
THe best thing to do when you have a sudden death is a necropsy. Dr Bohannon is the State Vet here in Ga. He is really nice and willing to help. There should be a lab near you. The downside, you need to kep the bird cool, not frozen and he is likely at the lab in your area one day a week. Cold pack and a cooler is the best way to keep them cool, unless you have an extra refirgerator you can use.

Sorry for your loss, It's never easy losing them.

Back
Top Bottom