my bourbon reds just started laying what now ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by medan, Mar 3, 2011.

1. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

First egg from my flock they are 11 months old will they set them? How many days do they lay before they set typically? They are using a coop thatÂ’s not in use they free range and roost in the trees at night and they are bourbon reds that can fly

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Time For Breakfast.:d

3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Songster

Aug 2, 2010
    im jealous, im still waiting [​IMG] mine are around the same age. where are you located? just wondering because id like to know when turkeys in my area are starting to lay

4. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    I have 2 bourbon red hens (and one tom) and at least one of them started laying about 2 weeks ago, just like every 3rd day. Yesterday and today, we got one egg a day. We put eggs 2-6 into our incubator. The 7th one (today) we cracked open to make sure they were actually fertile, which it was (hopefully others were too). We scrambled it and it was so much lighter in color than our chicken eggs. My mom said it tasted like egg whites. I didn't like the taste, but I'm currently sick, so not a good judge. Hubby said they tasted normal.

5. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    as far northwest as you can get in georgia

6. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Oh gosh, you're so lucky!! Mine are almost 7 months now, but it's still pretty darn cold here so I'm sure I still have a wait ahead of me before I get mine!

7. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Songster

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Yeah SweetXLilac, I bet we're still at least 4 weeks out yet. I'm hoping I can get 10 eggs before May 1.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    They will lay 15-20 eggs before they sit on the nest.

9. medan

medan Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    Thank you for answering my question

10. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Quote:Wouldn't that be nice! I'm so tired of this cold weather, I want some spring action lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: