MY BOY FINALLY CROWED

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
Our first set of chicks who are now 9 weeks old are growing up sooooo fast. Tonight Poopybutt (yes I know, my girls named him at the store when they just had to have him/her at that time) crowed for the first time! The sun was just starting to set. He had jumped up on the outside roost in their enclosed run, stood straight up with outstretched wings and proudly sounded like a squeaky toy
lau.gif

I was trying to re-design the garden hose setup for my garden when he did it. I stood up, clapped my hands and yelled "Yeah Poopybutt". My hubby and son came around the corner and said "what are you hollaring for"? I said that our baby boy had just crowed. They stood there for a little bit and sure enough he did it about 8 more times. Mind you this is the only one of our chickens that has a name. Had he not had pasty butt as a little thing, he would probably have been nameless as well.

Now I told my hubby that we would probably have to think of a more appropriate name for him since I was going to tell everyone at BYC about this and hubby said "nope, he is Poopybutt and will always be, no matter what". So, here I tribute the day that my boy Poopybutt crowed. Not nearly as famous as Chickenduck, but loved just as much by his momma.

100_2019.jpg

100b2130.jpg

Last edited:
stood straight up with outstretched wings and proudly sounded like a squeaky toy

Hahaha! What a guy! That must've been hilarious to watch. Way to go, Poopybutt!
gig.gif

Congrats!! It won't be long before you wish he never started
tongue.png
Just kidding!
I love to hear them crow, it lets me know they are happy. It's amazing how unique every crow is, too. My jap has almost a songbird call tone to his crow, it's very pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your kind remarks. I have to laugh everytime I think of what my hubby told me the other day. My hubby works for Waste Management which is our trash company here in Galesburg. They have safety meetings every morning at either 4:45am or 5:45am. To understand the signifigance of the story you must understand that in the last 10 years my husband has missed 4 days of work. One was because I had surgery and the other 3 were to bury his grandparents. Anyway, my husband accidently shut off his alarm in his sleep and missed both of the safety meetings. All the guys to include his boss told him that he probably needed more roosters to help him get up in the morning.
lau.gif

That is too cool, I have a banty roo and just love to hear him crow, he was grown when I got him so I missed out on the scratchy sounds, lol

Well he is on a roll....I opened the coop up this morning to let them out into their enclosed run and he did it again. Can't you just see the smile that is beaming across my face?
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

What a hoot!! I'm glad to know that we aren't the only ones who named our chickens names like this. We named one of our cornish roos "Crusty Butt" for the very same reason that you did.
lol.png

lau.gif
woot.gif

I am so happy for you. Mine are making a chuck chuck noise right now. But they aren't 9 weeks old yet. Wait. My niece is over a month old now and they were here before she was. They should be 9 weeks old or older now. :thun:confused:

Good for Poopybutt lol. Mine crowed for the first time last week, when he was 9 weeks. He is my first rooster, and I haven't been around too many roosters in my life growing up in Las Vegas, so I was expecting this classic TV rooster call. I live with a few parrots too so it took me a while to realize it was him making the noise. When I realized it was him I got so excited, I ran into my roommates room, woke him up and made him listen. He was like "what was that?" I said, "that's our boy, he finally crowed." My roommate was still half asleep, but he smiled and half consciously said, "Aww, he sounds retarded."

Back
Top Bottom