My brahma rooster's legs are a bit red and have lost a few feathers

Sire12

Songster
Aug 29, 2016
Northern Ireland
I first noticed it a few months back but had read on a different post here that its a normal hormonal thing and since he was about 10 months old at the time I just assumed that's what it was but I thought I'd post some pictures just to be sure incase it might be something else, also there was heavy snow here in January so I thought it could be the snow irritating his feathered legs

Attachments

• 20180319_091023.jpg
    20180319_091023.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 135
  • 20180319_090959.jpg
    20180319_090959.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20180319_092232.jpg
    20180319_092232.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20180130_083349.jpg
    20180130_083349.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 86
I have a male that looks simular and of close age to yours he has some red on his legs to but have not noticed missing feathers on him. I agree with checking for lice and mites if don't find either and I'm sure what it could be... Is it cold there by any chance? asking as when it started to get cold here my roo speck legs started going a bit red even tho there is no lice or mites.

Does he get proper dust bath? Any parasites? Lice or mites? Is his diet proper? Gettting proper balance diet? Is he fighting in coop? Is any other chicken pecking at its feathers? Lot of things to check on.

Btw your rooster looks charming:love

Thanks for the replies, yeah sorry I forgot mention they have constant access to their dust bath of wood ashes and DE mixed with kids play sand its in the shed next to their nesting area I bring it outside on dry sunny days, I spray them for scaly leg mites every few months too and spray their coop with mite spray at the same time , he's the only rooster so he's not able to fight with anyone he used to get picked on when he was a poult by the other 2 hens who were the top of the pecking order at the time and now that he's the boss he hates them and pecks at them but doesn't spur at them or anything, he's quite friendly he doesn't peck me anymore (used to when he was coming of age but he knows not to now lol)

I have a male that looks simular and of close age to yours he has some red on his legs to but have not noticed missing feathers on him. I agree with checking for lice and mites if don't find either and I'm sure what it could be... Is it cold there by any chance? asking as when it started to get cold here my roo speck legs started going a bit red even tho there is no lice or mites.

Yeah it gets quite cold here, we had a really bad winter too alot of snow

Yeah it gets quite cold here, we had a really bad winter too alot of snow
Just noticed your in Ireland so you must be getting hit with the same horrid weather england is getting hit with. I think it's down to the cold if it's none of the above my male has it quite red today on his legs.. does not help the yard is covered in snow!

the redness just means a boost in hormones if he has no bugs then i would not worry about the feathers to much if hes acting fine. Beautiful boy by the way :love

Back
Top Bottom