My Broody breaking routine

I try to catch them on day one. Then give them a cool belly bath for about 2-3 minutes is all that is required. I just cool the hot belly spots back to a normal chicken temperature.

Charlie’s been broody for a few days so it’s probably going to take longer to break her. I’ve had conflicting advice as to whether to let her out or not. I hate the thought of her sitting in her own filth for days on end, or not being able to stretch her legs. But if letting her out is going to exacerbate the problem, I don’t want to do that either!

Charlie’s been broody for a few days so it’s probably going to take longer to break her. I’ve had conflicting advice as to whether to let her out or not. I hate the thought of her sitting in her own filth for days on end, or not being able to stretch her legs. But if letting her out is going to exacerbate the problem, I don’t want to do that either!
It sounds like she is extremely broody. When they get there please follow Aarts advice.

You can let her out, but you gotta babysit her.
Walking, eating, pooping are all just fine, but you'll have to keep broody buns from nesting, she's going to wanna do it.:)

Ok, I must be lucky, she doesn’t peck me. She flaps her wings, struggles and hollers but doesn’t peck.
Mine do not peck, they bite the holy bejesus out of me. I'm glad you have a mellow variety of chicken. So sound's like you do not need a broom to defend yourself from your broody then.

My broodies are like Cassowary.

Last edited:
Mine were that way until they hit 2 or 3 years old, sweet little nooo pecks and lotsa noise.
They will not hesitate to bite the sh*t out of me now plus they've learned to put a twist with the bite.
Got to love when they learn stuff.:)
Ok, I must be lucky, she doesn’t peck me. She flaps her wings, struggles and hollers but doesn’t peck.

Mine do not peck, they bite the holy bejesus out of me. I'm glad you have a mellow variety of chicken. So sound's like you do not need a broom to defend yourself from your broody then.

My broodies are like Cassowary.

Ouch! Australorps are meant to be placid, although she is skittish but doesn’t peck or bite. No wonder you chuck yours in the bath at the first sight of broodiness!

Back
Top Bottom