My broody coturnix quail

There’s one good egg left and it was zipping when I took the eggs out to candle, so I put it back.

It’s so sweet watching them, I can’t get enough of it! She will actually get up and have chicks up in her feathers under and around the wing and I’ll wonder oh no where are the rest? And as she waddles one will fall out of her hiding place and start running around. These hen hatched chicks are so big and strong right from the start!

There’s one good egg left and it was zipping when I took the eggs out to candle, so I put it back.

It’s so sweet watching them, I can’t get enough of it! She will actually get up and have chicks up in her feathers under and around the wing and I’ll wonder oh no where are the rest? And as she waddles one will fall out of her hiding place and start running around. These hen hatched chicks are so big and strong right from the start!
That’s so adorable!! 😍😍

Here she is with them all stuffed up in her “trenchcoat”
4B79B38A-8582-4D0E-B745-5EB722D17A79.jpeg

Some pics of her moving around:
989D3B42-F445-4089-9352-B37D5220A7A4.jpeg

13C5DAAE-4CD1-4917-B603-33275E2D9D95.jpeg

Even though she prefers the water bottle and pellets, she occasionally goes to the chick bowls and pecks them a couple times to show the chicks. The chicks had already immediately discovered the bowls on their own as soon as they escaped from the nest the first time haha.

The silver one is the most independent, it’s always exploring.

Oh my god, I love this so much 😭 I feel so strongly that quail should be encouraged to live naturally.

Is there a way you can let the other adult quail see her mothering this chicks without putting mom and the chicks in danger?

Oh my god, I love this so much 😭 I feel so strongly that quail should be encouraged to live naturally.

Is there a way you can let the other adult quail see her mothering this chicks without putting mom and the chicks in danger?
The others live outside, I brought her inside at the beginning. I wouldn’t want to risk the chicks. I think they copy her when she gathers and sits on eggs, I’ve seen others sitting. I have an indoor blind male that is constantly trying to sit on each egg he finds, he has helped raise chicks before. I have some other females that have raised chicks that were hatched in an incubator. There’s still some instinct there. I’m hoping the hen brooded and raised chicks will want to brood eggs.

So Vladimir chittering at savi just yelling at him then she backs up and this happens just saw this massive thing pop out 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_091504500.jpg
    IMG_20210612_091504500.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210612_091506069.jpg
    IMG_20210612_091506069.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom